Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au> on 2005/05/11 05:11:11 UTC

Chicago

I wonder how many folks will be in Chicago next month for
PLDI/VEE/MSP/LCTES?  I for one would really enjoy spending some time
discussing this project.  It seems a perfect opportunity given the
combination of conferences.

--Steve

Research Fellow, Australian National University
phone: +61 2 6125 4821 fax: +61 2 6125 0010
http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Steve.Blackburn

Re: Chicago

Posted by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au>.
>> Can you give us some more info?
>
> http://research.ihost.com/pldi2005/

The advance program for VEE...

--Steve

*VEE'05 Conference Program*

Featuring keynote talks by

    * James E. Smith
      <http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/vee/progframe.html#smith> - /A
      Unified View of Virtualization/
    * Martin Nally
      <http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/vee/progframe.html#nally> -
      /Application Servers: Virtualizing Location, Resources, Memory,
      Users and Threads For Business Applications and Web Applications/

*
Saturday, June 11*

* 8:30-8:45 Welcome*

*8:45-10:00 Keynote Talk* James E. Smith
<http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ece/faculty/smith_james.html>, University of
Wisconsin
/A Unified View of Virtualization/
<http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/vee/progframe.html#smith>

*10:00-10:30 Break*

*10:30-12:30 Scalability, Performance, and Real-Time*

Friendly Virtual Machines: Leveraging a Feedback-Control Model for
Application Adaptation
/Yuting Zhang, Azer Bestavros, Mina Guirguis, Ibrahim Matta, Richard West/

Diagnosing Performance Overheads in the Xen Virtual Machine Environment
/Aravind Menon, Jose Santos, Yoshio Turner, G. (John) Janakiraman, Willy
Zwaenepoel/

Supporting Per-Processor Local-Allocation Buffers Using Lightweight
User-Level Preemption Notification
/Alex Garthwaite, Dave Dice, Derek White/

A Programmable Microkernel for Real-Time Systems
/Christoph Kirsch, Marco Sanvido, Thomas Henzinger/

*12:30-2:00 Lunch*

*2:00-3:30 Objects and Their Collection*

The Pauseless GC Algorithm
/Cliff Click, Gil Tene, Michael Wolf
/
Using Page Residency to Balance Tradeoffs in Tracing Garbage Collection
/Daniel Spoonhower, Guy Blelloch, Robert Harper
/
Exploiting Frequent Field Values in Java Objects for Reducing Heap
Memory Requirements
/Guangyu Chen, Mahmut Kandemir, Mary Irwin
/
*3:30-4:00 Break*

*4:00-5:30 Going Native*

An Efficient and Generic Reversible Debugger using the Virtual Execution
Approach
/Toshihiko Koju, Shingo Takada, Norihisa Doi/

Module Aware Translation for Real-Life Applications
/Jianhui Li, Peng Zhang, Orna Etzion
/
Planning for Code Buffer Management in Distributed Virtual Execution
Environments
/Shukang Zhou, Bruce Childers, Mary Lou Soffa /

*Sunday, June 12*

*8:30-10:00 Keynote Talk* Martin Nally, IBM
/Application Servers: Virtualizing Location, Resources, Memory, Users
and Threads For Business Applications and Web Applications/
<http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/vee/progframe.html#nally>

*10:00-10:30 Break*

*10:30-12:00 Dynamic Compilation Techniques*

Escape Analysis in the Context of Dynamic Compilation and Deoptimization
/Thomas Kotzmann, Hanspeter Moessenboeck /

Inlining Java Native Calls at Runtime
/Levon Stepanian, Angela Demke Brown, Allan Kielstra, Gita Koblents,
Kevin Stoodley/

Optimized Interval Splitting in a Linear Scan Register Allocator
/Christian Wimmer, Hanspeter Moessenboeck/

*12:00-1:30 Lunch*

*1:30-3:00 Language Representations*

An Execution Layer for Aspect-Oriented Programming Languages
/Michael Haupt, Mira Mezini, Christoph Bockisch, Tom Dinkelaker, Michael
Eichberg, Michael Krebs/

Virtual Machine Showdown: Stack Versus Registers
/Yunhe Shi, David Gregg, Andrew Beatty, M. Anton Ertl/

Instrumenting Annotated Programs
/Marina Biberstein, Vugranam Sreedhar, Bilha Mendelson, Daniel Citron,
Alberto Giammaria/

*3:00-3:30 Break*

*3:30-4:30 Distributed VEEs*

PDS: A Virtual Execution Environment for Software Deployment
/Bowen Alpern, Joshua Auerbach, Vasanth Bala, Thomas Frauenhofer, Todd
Mummert, Michael Pigott/

The Entropia Virtual Machine for Desktop Grids
/Brad Calder, Andrew Chien, Ju Wang, Don Yang/

HyperSpector: Virtual Distributed Monitoring Environments for Secure
Intrusion Detection
/Kenichi Kourai, Shigeru Chiba/

*Monday, Keynote Talk* James E. Smith
<http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ece/faculty/smith_james.html>, University of
Wisconsin,
/A Unified View of Virtualization/

*Abstract*

Virtualization technologies have been developed by a number of computer
science and engineering disciplines, sometimes independently, often by
different groups and at different times. Not surprisingly, these groups
each view virtualization as a sub-discipline, so it is studied in a
fragmented way. In the future, however, virtualization will become an
essential part of all computer systems by providing smart
interconnection mechanisms for the three major system components --
application software, system software, and hardware. Consequently, the
study of virtualization technologies will become a discipline in its own
right and will stand on equal footing with the other major areas of
computer systems design.

*Bio*

James E. Smith is a professor in the Department of Electri- cal and
Computer Engineering at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. He
received his PhD in 1976 from the University of Illinois. Since then, he
has been involved in a number of computer research and development
projects as a faculty mem- ber at Wisconsin and in industry (Control
Data Corporation, Astronautics Coporation, Cray Research). Currently, he
and his research group are studying the virtual machine abstrac- tion as
a technique for providing high performance and power efficiency through
co-design and tight coupling of virtual machine hardware and software.
Prof. Smith recieved the ACM/IEEE 1999 Eckert-Mauchly Award for
contributions to the field of computer architecture. He is co-author
with Ravi Nair of a book on virtual machines soon to be published by
Morgan Kaufmann.

*Tuesday, Keynote Talk* Martin Nally, IBM
/Application Servers: Virtualizing Location, Resources, Memory, Users
and Threads For Business Applications and Web Applications/

*Abstract*

Application servers provide an environment for running business and web
applications. By virtualizing threads, data and processing resources,
memory and users, they provide the simplifying illusion for the
programmer that the application is interacting with a single user, is
running alone on the server, and is the sole user of resources, while
allowing an efficient realization that scales with the number of users,
and available hardware. They also provide a virtual environment where
security enforcement and demarcation of transaction boundaries are
automatic. This talk will describe some of the major features of modern
application servers and show how concepts of virtualization are
fundamental to their design and realization.

*Bio* Martin Nally is an IBM Distinguished Engineer who joined IBM in
1990 with 10 years prior industry experience. He was the lead architect
and developer for IBM VisualAge/Smalltalk, and lead architect and
overall development manager for IBM WebSphere Studio. He has been
designing tools for application server programming and designing
application server programming model abstractions for over 10 years. His
current titles are Chief Architect, Rational Desktop Tools, and co-chair
of the IBM Software Group programming model workgroup

Re: Chicago

Posted by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 11:11 PM, Steve Blackburn wrote:
>
>> I wonder how many folks will be in Chicago next month for
>> PLDI/VEE/MSP/LCTES?  I for one would really enjoy spending some time
>> discussing this project.  It seems a perfect opportunity given the
>> combination of conferences.
>
> Can you give us some more info?

http://research.ihost.com/pldi2005/

PLDI: the major anual conference on Programming Language Design and
Implementation
VEE: Virtual Execution Enviornments (ie VM design)
MSP: Memory Systems Performance (a lot of VM related work)
LCTES: Languages, Compilers, Tools for Embedded Systems

This is the cream of international research in the area of P/L and VM
design.

--Steve

Re: Chicago

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 10, 2005, at 11:11 PM, Steve Blackburn wrote:

> I wonder how many folks will be in Chicago next month for
> PLDI/VEE/MSP/LCTES?  I for one would really enjoy spending some time
> discussing this project.  It seems a perfect opportunity given the
> combination of conferences.

Can you give us some more info?

geir

geirm@apache.org