Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Mirko Viviani <mi...@objectlab.org> on 2004/02/08 18:03:36 UTC

ActionLink and tapestry urls

Ciao!

I have a page that display the items of a list inside a window (10 items
per page) and a navigator that shift the window through the list.

Navigator (Prev, Next action link)

foreach
   items
/foreach

If I hit the Prev/Next action it works correctly but the browser url
display the name of the clicked action link
(http://.../MsgNavigator.NextLink) and if I hit the reload function of
the browser it reinvoke the previous action link instead of refreshing
the current page.

A solution could be to implement the navigator with direct links and
give the desired page number, but how to fix with action links?

3.0-beta-4

Thanks

Ciao
Mirko

RE: ActionLink and tapestry urls

Posted by Larry Streepy <la...@staffmix.com>.
This seems like a case where instead of "hiding the plumbing" from the
programmer, Tapestry is actually making the plumbing harder.  I read the
code that was posted in the article and it's a prime example of the reason
that Tapestry's learning curve is so steep.  I'm fairly new to Tapestry, and
that code would not have come to mind if I was faced with the same problem.

I may be in the weeds, but why doesn't the ActionLink use a tiny fragment of
javascript to set the URL that the browser records when the link is
followed.  This would make a refresh do what was expected - refresh the
page, not reinvoke the action.  I know this relies on javascript, so in
browsers with no support (or support is disabled) the behavior would be what
it is today.  At least in the common case, all of the plumbing would be
hidden from the programmer.  Similarly, since this seems to be a common
problem for ActionLink usage, there should be common support code for
"fixing" things, as shown in the posted code.

Thanks.
Larry.