Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/05/31 03:46:18 UTC

Re: Struts-1.2.7

That would be a mistake on our part.  Probably due to the (old) way we used
to build Struts.

At this point it may be safe to assume that the release notes/wiki will be
changed to match the distribution.  But that has yet to be discussed.

I'd like to add a few more comments about this, but I'll do it over on the
Struts Developers List.

Thanks for pointing this out.

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
...adding to my previous comment about the old way of building with Ant.

Building Struts via the Ant build script has always been an issue with
respect to dependencies.  Before Mavenization, every single person who
wanted to build Struts from source had to:
a) download all the dependencies by hand
b) configure your own local copy of build.properties to point to the right
JARs

...we do this so that Struts could use the required dependent libraries
without having to resort to the time-proven _bad practice_ of keeping JARs
in the repository.

I had a couple of issues with our particular Ant build setup because I had
several other projects that conflicted with the way we were naming the keys
that pointed to some of the JARs.

One of the major benefits of using Maven is that all of this confusion is
completely removed.  However, there is an intermediate step.  You can
configure an Ant build script to download dependent JARs the same way Maven
does without requiring Maven.

A few months ago, it became apparent that there was interest in maintaining
nightlies for the "STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH", so I modified the build.xml file to
be able download the dependencies as part of the build.

See this page for details:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/core/tags/STRUTS_1_2_7/build.xml

...scroll down to the "download-dependencies" target.

With that new target, I have been producing 1.2.x nightlies for several
months now.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/core/branches/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH/.
(* see note below)

* As part of preparing this email, I noticed the distribution dirs (src,
bin, lib) were empty due to a version change to the build.xml.  When the
version was changed from 1.2.7-dev, to 1.2.7 a few weeks back, that broke
the nightly build.  I just fixed my local shell script and reran the nightly
for 1.2.x.