Posted to users@maven.apache.org by monkeyden <mo...@monkeyden.com> on 2009/01/21 22:05:09 UTC

Configuration by exception?

When I define a dependency do I really need to arduously and decoratively
exclude each of it's dependencies?  Naturally I'd rather just say don't
include any dependencies except these...

Thanks

Re: Configuration by exception?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Let me clarify.  I am using maven-ear-plugin, and all of my compile-time
> transitive dependencies are being dumped into the root of the ear.  Do I
> have to declaratively exclude all of them like so:

If your compile-time dependencies have dependencies of their own, how
do you know that your app will function properly WITHOUT including in
your ear? Thus, they MUST be included in your ear UNLESS you exclude
them specifically.

It sounds like Maven is doing EXACTLY what it should do. Help us
understand why you think this is wrong.

Wayne

Re: Configuration by exception?

Posted by monkeyden <mo...@monkeyden.com>.
Let me clarify.  I am using maven-ear-plugin, and all of my compile-time
transitive dependencies are being dumped into the root of the ear.  Do I
have to declaratively exclude all of them like so:

<jarModule>
  <groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>
  <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
  <excluded>true</excluded>
</jarModule>

...or does this signify a bug I've created in my build process?

Thanks for any help