Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2011/03/07 12:16:55 UTC

Logging

Hi all,

I am looking at integrating Aries JNDI support into Apache Sling and
looking at the JNDI Core BundleActivator [1] I noticed that Java
platform logging is used.

Is this by intent ? Do you do all your (Aries) logging to the Java
platform logging ?

If so, I would have some tasks to do in Sling to try to redirect
platform logging into our own logging which is SLF4J based (and also
supports Log4j, Commons logging and of course OSGi LogService).

By that matter: According to the OSGi JNDI spec, failure to set
NamingManager singletons should be logged with the LogService. The
current implementation does not do this.

Thanks and Regards
Felix

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/aries/trunk/jndi/jndi-core/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/jndi/startup/Activator.java

Re: Logging

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
On 8 March 2011 10:46, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 08.03.2011, 10:36 +0000 schrieb Alasdair Nottingham:
>> On 8 March 2011 06:47, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > Thanks, I am really relieved !

>> > For sure.

>> > Its in the second section of 126.7 Traditional Client Model:

>> This is a should, and not a must, so we don't have to do it. Given we
>
> I SHOULD start paying more attention to these subtleties. Or MUST
> I ? ;-)

I'd go with Should, life is too short for everyone to be pedantic
about these things.

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: Logging

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Logging

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

Re: Logging

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Montag, den 07.03.2011, 23:24 +0000 schrieb Alasdair Nottingham:
> Hi,
>
> It should use slf4j really, everything else does.

Thanks, I am really relieved !

> Would you raise a JIRA for this?

For sure.

> On the LogService can you point me to where the spec says this? I'm very surprised to hear this since I was under the impression the spec made no such requirement. The CT doesn't test this for sure

Its in the second section of 126.7 Traditional Client Model:

> This brokering role can only be played when the JNDI Implementation can set the singletons as specified
> in Naming Manager Singletons on page 387. If the JNDI Implementation cannot set these singletons
> then it should log an error with the Log Service, if available. It can then not perform the
> following sections.

Regards
Felix

Re: Logging

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

It should use slf4j really, everything else does. Would you raise a JIRA for this?