Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by John Moore <Jo...@PDSI-Software.COM> on 2002/02/01 04:18:26 UTC

FW: Apache/Tomcat/mod_jk growing TIME_WAIT counts

** Also posted to Tomcat-User

First, I am running an Apache 1.3.22 with Tomcat 3.3 using shared mod_jk,
mod_ssl and mod_rewrite on a Sun Netra X1 Solaris 8, JDK 1.3.1_02 with os
and jvm recommended patches applied.

I notice that I have a growing number of processes that are left in a "w"
state according to server-status.  I check using netstat and see that there
are sockets hanging out in a TIME_WAIT state.   These will hang out for who
knows how long but I have some that are days old (when apache was last
restarted).     Is this a bad-client issue, configuration of apache issue,
apache-tomcat-session issue or something else I'm not considering.

I'm guessing it may be an Apache issue but since I monitor this forum and
see lots of expertise on combined containers I thought I'd start here.   Any
advise or direction is greatly appreciated.

John Moore

Re: Apache/Tomcat/mod_jk growing TIME_WAIT counts

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I've been running a nearly identical (except for the hardware) configuration
for quite some time now without problems.  I don't have enough information
to give an answer, but if I had to guess, I'd say that your KeepAliveTimeout
is set way too high.  Some TIME_WAITs are just the cost of doing business on
the net (since browsers are greedy), but by default Apache does a good job
of managing things.

The way to tell where to look is by the port number.  If the port is 80 or
443, then it is an Apache problem.  If it is port 8007 or 8009 it is
probably a Tomcat problem.