Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by kosurusekhar <ko...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/27 12:56:43 UTC

User Defined Type as Table Column

Hi folks,

We decided to create a table column with User Defined Type (A java class has
big byte array & certain other properties), Is there any issues or any
problems (performance side) while doing insert / update / delete into or
from this table?

If any body come across this kind of scenario means please suggest me with
your inputs.

Regards
Sekhar.

Re: User Defined Type as Table Column

Posted by kosurusekhar <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have another column which we are using as foreign key, so index
issue may not be occur. I will be do all kind of operations based this
column. My doubt is I read in derby sites that, Blob columns will bit slower
to delete. I hope these UDT's also kind of Blob type.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/14 3:56 AM, kosurusekhar wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We decided to create a table column with User Defined Type (A java class has
> big byte array&  certain other properties), Is there any issues or any
> problems (performance side) while doing insert / update / delete into or
> from this table?
>
> If any body come across this kind of scenario means please suggest me with
> your inputs.
>

> Regards
> Sekhar.
Hi Sekhar,

I don't know of any INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE performance problems. However,
UDTs are not indexable by themselves, which may give you performance
problems when you SELECT them. One workaround is to add a generated
column to extract an indexable key out of the UDT.

Hope this helps,
-Rick