Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Garner Shawn <sh...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/13 16:49:07 UTC

[HELP] Need reasons to upgrade from Struts 1.1 to 1.2.9

I need to come up with some reasons to upgrade from Struts 1.1 to
1.2.9 in production.
These need to be business reasons that will convince my program
manager it's worth my time.

I would like to do this and thought people on this list might be able
to come up with some reasons pretty easily.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [HELP] Need reasons to upgrade from Struts 1.1 to 1.2.9

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Hi Shawn,

On Thu, July 13, 2006 10:49 am, Garner Shawn wrote:
> I need to come up with some reasons to upgrade from Struts 1.1 to
> 1.2.9 in production.
> These need to be business reasons that will convince my program
> manager it's worth my time.

If you don't already have reasons of your own, you probably shouldn't be
doing it.  I can appreciate wanting to work with the latest and greatest,
getting new experience, etc. ... but if you have a solid production app,
especially if its considered mission-critical, and no compelling reason to
upgrade the framework, I think it's a bit irresponsible to do it "just
because".  I'd be looking for a new project to do with 1.2.9 instead...
once that's complete, you may find that you naturally have compelling
reasons to upgrade the existing apps (i.e., some new feature that you can
make use of, and that your manager can easily be convinced is worth it).
Maybe you could find some new feature to add to the app that would require
1.2.9?  But, artificially creating reasons is something I would shy away
from... consider this... what if they let you do it, and a lot of problems
come up with no obvious tangible benefit?  Who's going to take the brunt
of the heat?  And, even if it goes very smoothly and there's *still* no
obvious tangible benefit?  Someone may wonder why you wasted the time.

> Shawn

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

AW: [HELP] Need reasons to upgrade from Struts 1.1 to 1.2.9

Posted by Martin Kindler <ki...@arcor.de>.
Do you need any of the new features in 1.2.x vs. 1.1? If not, I would wait
for 1.3.x or even 2.0.x as 1.2.x is a dead end (I am developing for 1.2.x
and happy with it, but if getting up-to-date is the most important reason:
wait)

Martin