Posted to user@pig.apache.org by de...@wipro.com on 2011/01/13 13:07:52 UTC

Pass an Outer Bag into UDF

Hi,

I wish to pass an outer bag into a Python UDF.

Something like:

Calculation-data = LOAD /path/to/data AS (field;int);
Actual_data = LOAD /path/to/data AS (field1:int, field2:int)

Calculation_data is not a very big bag. Maybe about 500 tuples in all - a single file.
Actual_data is the real data source lying on HDFS.

For each tuple in Actual_data, I wish to have the entire Calculation_data (whole bag) for some calculation that I wish to do.

So, with every call to a UDF, I need to pass this bag along with tuple from Actual_data.

Simply, is there any way of passing an outer bag into a Python UDF?

Regards,
Deepak

www.wipro.com

Re: Pass an Outer Bag into UDF

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.
I think I made a small mistake, iot should be

result = FOREACH ad_group GENERATE
udf.name(Actual_data, cd_group.Calculation-data);

Basically the group all make a bag of one tuple, whgich is a null key and a bag of all elements. I think you still have to explicitly refer to the bag of elements, but a describe cd_group; would tell you

Sent via BlackBerry

Calculation-data = LOAD /path/to/data AS (field:int);
Actual_data = LOAD /path/to/data AS (field1:int, field2:int);

-- I want to do something like this:
Result = FOREACH Actual_data GENERATE udf_file_name.fun_name(Calculation_data, field1, field2);

-- But it's not legal.
-------------

There is an example in the UDFScriptingwithPython page on the PIG site, where an internal bag is being converted to an outer bag. But that doesn't seem to be very relevant here, except for the point that if I somehow pass an outer or inner bag into the UDF, I can work upon it like any other python list.

Thanks,
Deepak

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.
Calculation-data = LOAD ...
Actual_data  = LOAD ..

cd_group = GROUP Calculation-data ALL;
ad_group = GROUP Actual_data ALL;

result = FOREACH ad_group GENERATE udf.name(Actual_data, Calculation-data);

Actual_data will be a bag of tuples (field1, field2) and Calculation-data
will be a bag of tuples (field).

MAybe you can post your python code as well?

2011/1/13 <de...@wipro.com>

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> How would the PIG Statement look?
>
> Building upon my previous example,
>
> ------------
> Calculation-data = LOAD /path/to/data AS (field:int);
> Actual_data = LOAD /path/to/data AS (field1:int, field2:int);
>
> -- I want to do something like this:
> Result = FOREACH Actual_data GENERATE
> udf_file_name.fun_name(Calculation_data, field1, field2);
>
> -- But it's not legal.
> -------------
>
> There is an example in the UDFScriptingwithPython page on the PIG site,
> where an internal bag is being converted to an outer bag. But that doesn't
> seem to be very relevant here, except for the point that if I somehow pass
> an outer or inner bag into the UDF, I can work upon it like any other python
> list.
>
> Thanks,
> Deepak

RE: Pass an Outer Bag into UDF