Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Mickael Maison <mi...@apache.org> on 2023/11/24 15:36:59 UTC

[VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 3.6.1.

This is a bugfix release with several fixes, including dependency
version bumps for CVEs.

Release notes for the 3.6.1 release:
https://home.apache.org/~mimaison/kafka-3.6.1-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Friday, December 1

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~mimaison/kafka-3.6.1-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~mimaison/kafka-3.6.1-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 3.6 branch) is the 3.6.1 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.6.1-rc0

PR for updating docs:
https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/568

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/36/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/36/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 3.6 branch:
Unit/integration tests: We still have a lot of flaky tests in the 3.6
branch. Looking at the last few 3.6 builds in
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.6/ it seems all
tests passed at least once apart from
ClusterConnectionStatesTest.testSingleIP(). There's
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15762 to fix that test.
System tests: Still running I'll post an update once they complete.

Thanks,
Mickael

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Unit/Integration tests:
I'm not able to get a clean build but looking at the results from
builds 122 [0] and 123 [1], it seems all tests apart
ClusterConnectionStatesTest.testSingleIP() passed at least once.
We have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15762 to track the
testSingleIP() failures.

System tests:
Thanks Justine for sharing your results. I've put my results in
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PDBoCHTYSEvYd1ShYbjYVNpF0Hk0P4M3?usp=drive_link
Combining our results together, all tests passed apart from the 9
tests from tests/client/quota_test.py. I've managed to get them to
pass on my laptop and attached the output in the drive folder.
I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15973 to track this issue.

I'm now closing the vote. The vote passes with
- 3 +1 bindings votes from Bill, Luke, and Justine
- 4 +1 non-binding votes from Jakub, Federico, Kamal and Josep
- 0 -1 votes

I'll go ahead and finish the release process.

Thanks,
Mickael

0: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.6/122/testReport/
1: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.6/123/testReport/

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by David Arthur <da...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
I have a fix for KAFKA-15968

--
-David

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by David Arthur <da...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Mickael,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mickael:

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mickael,

I did the following:

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
I built from source and ran a simple transactional produce bench. I ran a
handful of unit tests as well.
I scanned the docs and everything looked reasonable.

I was wondering if we got the system test results mentioned > System tests:

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josep,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.1 RC0