Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Mullin <mu...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/09/09 23:32:46 UTC

Where is bootstrap.jar

We have downloaded Apache Tomcat, V2.2.3, and are attempting to install it
on our mainframe systems, running z/OS 1.7.  We also have something called
JZOS from IBM, which provides JCL for starting JAVA applications.  It came
with JCL to start up tomcat, but it fails with a class not found error,
looking for bootstrap.jar.  Should that have come with tomcat?  I'd like
some information regarding this missing jar file.  Where can I get it?

Also, I'd appreciate experience from anyone who has done this, installed
Tomcat on a mainframe system running z/OS 1.7 OS.

Kevin Mullin
Sr. Analyst
IBM Corporation
(206) 345-7068
mullink@us.ibm.com

RE: Where is bootstrap.jar

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Kevin Mullin [mailto:mullink@us.ibm.com]
> Subject: RE: Where is bootstrap.jar
>
> I'm running in a JAVA 1.4 environment, and I need the
> compatability package, as you noted.
>
> I'm at the apache site for Tomcat, and I can't find it.
> Can you give me a URL to it.

It's the one cleverly hidden under the name "JDK 1.4 Compatability
Package", about half way down the page:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Where is bootstrap.jar

Posted by Kevin Mullin <mu...@us.ibm.com>.
I'm getting close.  I've download the most recent version, using the CGI
you sent me, but now when I execute it, it complains becuase I'm running
in a JAVA 1.4 environment, and I need the compatability package, as you
noted.

I'm at the apache site for Tomcat, and I can't find it.  Can you give me a
URL to it.

Kevin Mullin
Sr. Analyst
IBM Corporation
(206) 345-7068
mullink@us.ibm.com

"Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>
09/09/2006 02:41 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Where is bootstrap.jar

> From: Kevin Mullin [mailto:mullink@us.ibm.com]
> Subject: Where is bootstrap.jar
>
> We have downloaded Apache Tomcat, V2.2.3

You may be a little confused.  The current version of Apache httpd is
2.2.3, but Tomcat is currently at 5.5.17.  The httpd product is C-based,
and would have to be ported to your platform.  Tomcat is pure Java, and
will run as is - once you actually download the correct package.
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

If your JRE is 1.4 based, you'll also need the Compatibility Package;
for 1.5 or later, no additions are necessary.

RE: Where is bootstrap.jar

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.