Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2004/01/02 20:49:00 UTC

[uid] Name?

I would like to push out the website, but before I do, I wanted to allow
people one more chance to weigh in on the name.  Gary has suggested [id]
and I suppose [identifiers] would also be reasonable.  I personally like
[uid] fine.  Since we are not (yet ;) using Subversion, changing is a mild
PITA, but I am happy to do it if others like [id] or [identifiers] better.

So...any strong opinions?

Re: [uid] Name?

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> So...any strong opinions?

Not a strong opinion, but I do think that [identifiers] is the best
name.  It's the most descriptive and explicit.  Also, a uid is a
specific type of identifier (right?).

[id] Re: [uid] Name?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
At the risk of Freudian confusion, I went ahead and changed the name to
id.  Let's see what kind of creative energy the new name can generate :)

Sorry for the mess, but I think it is important to get the name right. New
files are in j-c-s/id.

Phil

RE: [uid] Name?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Are the identifiers ever not unique?
> Sometimes not guaranteed.  The "serial" identifiers can be set up to
> wrap, for example.

My view is that if you consider UID to be a misnomer, rename it.  Otherwise
keep it.  The term uid has an immediate meaning to most programmers that see
it.  They could make the mistake of thinking it means UserID, but that would
be quickly corrected looking at it.  I don't know if "identifier" will have
the same immediate meaning.  If/when we deploy an ontology-based portal, it
could be interesting.

	--- Noel

Re: [uid] Name?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.