Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de> on 2007/04/11 23:58:58 UTC

Re: problem with separation of "java" and "resources"

Hi,

> I'm not sure if eclipse supports it, but with IDEA, the package view
> keep the resources and the java sources together.
Great for the IDEA users, but this does NOT help me with eclipse.

Can someone point out why it was designed this way?
The src/*/java folders could also be used as resources directory with
exclude filters on *.java (and potentially package.html, overview.html and
doc-files/**).
Do NOT get me wrong - I see that it is NOT a good idea to change this
anymore in the Super-POM or the maven-jar-plugin, but I would like to
understand. Maybe there is something I am missing that would help me
to live better with the inconvenience or prevent me from adjusting this in my
toplevel POM.

Thanks
  Jörg

Posted by Mykel Alvis <my...@weirdness.com>.
Well, filtering of resources would be damned hard if there were a bunch of
.java files in the mix, for one  (and probably the biggest) reason.

On 4/11/07, Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure if eclipse supports it, but with IDEA, the package view
> > keep the resources and the java sources together.
> Great for the IDEA users, but this does NOT help me with eclipse.
>
> Can someone point out why it was designed this way?
> The src/*/java folders could also be used as resources directory with
> exclude filters on *.java (and potentially package.html, overview.html and
> doc-files/**).
> Do NOT get me wrong - I see that it is NOT a good idea to change this
> anymore in the Super-POM or the maven-jar-plugin, but I would like to
> understand. Maybe there is something I am missing that would help me
> to live better with the inconvenience or prevent me from adjusting this in
> my
> toplevel POM.
>
> Thanks
>   Jörg
> >

> > Joerg Hohwiller wrote:
> > Hi there everybody,
> >
> > from the separation of concerns view of the maven plugins I can see
> > the point in
> > separating "java" and "resources" in src/main and src/test.
> >
> > - From the users point of view this is quite ugly:
> >
> > -If you are looking at a java file and want to look at a related
> > resource, you
> > have to navigate all the way up out of "java" and back into
> > "resources" down to
> > the same package. Developers are used to find them right beside their
> > java files.
> >
> > -The situation gets even worse if you look at package refactoring:
> > You have to
> >  perform the same refactoring twice. If you make a little spelling
> > mistake (or
> > you simply forget to do it twice) you break your code.
> >
> > Maybe I am using the wrong IDE (eclipse), but ...
> >
> > What are the arguments for this separation? Isn't the resources plugin
> > generic
> > enough to include all files except "*.java" from "java"? Could this be
> > done by
> > configuration in the POM? (the super POM???)
> >
> > Regards
> >   Jörg

I'm just an unfrozen caveman software developer.  I don't understand your
strange, "modern" ways.