Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Allen Atamer <at...@sympatico.ca> on 2008/04/08 23:59:24 UTC

designing a dictionary filter with multiple word entries

My dictionary filter currently implements next() and everything works well
when dictionary entries are replaced one-to-one. For example:   Can =>
Canada.

A problem arises when I try to replace it with more than one word. Going
through next() I encounter "shutdown".  But the dictionary entry takes
Shutdown => shut down (two words). I construct a replacement term according
the to the instructions in the Javadoc, but the search does not match any
substrings "shut" or "down" in my database. I debugged it and found
QueryParser is converting my replaced text into PhraseQuery objects instead
of BooleanQuery objects.

My code to replace the string is below:

		Token teachToken = new Token();
		teachToken.resizeTermBuffer(replacementTerm.length());

		char [] termBuffer = teachToken.termBuffer();
		for (int i = 0; i < replacementTerm.length(); i++) {
			termBuffer[i] = replacementTerm.charAt(i);
		}
		teachToken.setTermLength(replacementTerm.length());
		this.tokenQueue.push(teachToken);
		return teachToken;

Instead of [field1]:shut down, it is searching with [field1]:"shut down".

How can I construct the replacement terms so that queries are formed
properly, and I don't violate the next() contract?

Thanks a bunch!
Allen

Checked by AVG.
7:30 AM

RE: designing a dictionary filter with multiple word entries

Posted by Allen Atamer <at...@sympatico.ca>.
Mathieu,
Your suggestion pointed me in the right direction. I was using a private
queue instead of using the inherited TokenStream from the superclass.
Thanks.

However that still didn't stop the PhraseQuery problem from happening. I
instead needed to add one more item into the code below

                newToken.setPositionIncrement(0);

by setting more than one term to the zero position increment, it forces a
BooleanQuery to be constructed within the MultiFieldQueryParser class,
instead of the PhraseQuery object.

Allen

> My dictionary filter currently implements next() and everything works well
> when dictionary entries are replaced one-to-one. For example:   Can =>
> Canada.
>
> A problem arises when I try to replace it with more than one word. Going
> through next() I encounter "shutdown".  But the dictionary entry takes
> Shutdown => shut down (two words). I construct a replacement term
according
> the to the instructions in the Javadoc, but the search does not match any
> substrings "shut" or "down" in my database. I debugged it and found
> QueryParser is converting my replaced text into PhraseQuery objects
instead
> of BooleanQuery objects.
>
> My code to replace the string is below:
>
> 		Token teachToken = new Token();
> 		teachToken.resizeTermBuffer(replacementTerm.length());
>
> 		char [] termBuffer = teachToken.termBuffer();
> 		for (int i = 0; i < replacementTerm.length(); i++) {
> 			termBuffer[i] = replacementTerm.charAt(i);
> 		}
> 		teachToken.setTermLength(replacementTerm.length());
> 		this.tokenQueue.push(teachToken);
> 		return teachToken;
>
> Instead of [field1]:shut down, it is searching with [field1]:"shut down".
>
> How can I construct the replacement terms so that queries are formed
> properly, and I don't violate the next() contract?

use a private stack. When you replace a word, fill it, and the next()
will pop your stack. When the stack is empty, feed it again. So first
time next() will get "shut", and second time "down".

M.

7:10 AM

Checked by AVG.
9:17 AM

Re: designing a dictionary filter with multiple word entries

Posted by Mathieu Lecarme <ma...@garambrogne.net>.