Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Nicko Cadell <ni...@neoworks.com> on 2004/05/16 19:10:55 UTC

RE: Log4Net Chapter

Brian,

> But as I was thinking recently I can up with an idea for
> Log4NET.  Has anyone started a Visual Studio.NET add-in for
> Log4NET?  It shouldn't be too hard.  Just have a component
> that integrates like a timer or validation control and some
> properties on it for special configurations (i.e. Compact
> Framework, public or private member and autochange detect
> that puts the appropriate information into the
> assemblyinfo.cs file.)  Finally the best part would be a gui
> configuration tool to write the configurations to the app.config file.

Integration with VisualStudio sounds like a great idea.
I like the ideas you have come up with, especially the gui configuration
tool. That would work in many different scenarios. As a design time tool
either integrated into VisualStudio or as a stand alone tool that allows the
configuration file to be defined. It would also work as a runtime gui that
could be embedded into an application to control the logging configuration
of the running application (change log levels, appenders etc...) without
restarting.

> What do you think?  I would be interested in doing a proof of
> concept and helping out if you think the users would like it
> and enough developers are willing to help.

I think that users would really appreciate having such a tool and it would
be great if you could produce an initial demo. I think that there are lots
of issues to consider about how to make the editor extensible enough for 3rd
party appenders etc... The model that VisualStudio uses to allow components
to define their own configuration may be worth investigating.

Cheers,
Nicko