Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robillard, Greg L" <gr...@lmco.com> on 2010/11/19 03:28:46 UTC

Should I upgrade to 7.0

I am relatively unfamiliar with tomcat.  I am currently running 6.26 in a production system that support 1 webapp for approximately 60 clients that continually poll the server for updates ( weather files ).

Is there any reason why I should upgrade to tomcat 7.0 release.

Thanks

Re: Should I upgrade to 7.0

Posted by Edoardo Panfili <ed...@aspix.it>.
On 19/11/10 03.28, Robillard, Greg L wrote:
> I am relatively unfamiliar with tomcat.  I am currently running 6.26 in a production system that support 1 webapp for approximately 60 clients that continually poll the server for updates ( weather files ).
>
> Is there any reason why I should upgrade to tomcat 7.0 release.

Tomcat 7.0 (7.0.4 http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi)
is still tagged as "beta"... I am using it in my development environment
(without problems) but not in a production system.

Edoardo

Re: Should I upgrade to 7.0

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Should I upgrade to 7.0

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Robillard, Greg L wrote:
> I am relatively unfamiliar with tomcat.  I am currently running 6.26 in a production system that support 1 webapp for approximately 60 clients that continually poll the server for updates ( weather files ).
>
> Is there any reason why I should upgrade to tomcat 7.0 release.

Unless you have a problem, not with any urgency, no.
You may want to upgrade to 6.0.29, which is the real current version in the 6.0 series
(see http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html), and which will not break anything.

I am still quite happily running systems with Tomcat 5.5.  I would not recommend this as a
general practice, but as long as there is no problem..

An old saying is : if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I expect some comments on the above personal views.

Re: Should I upgrade to 7.0

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 19/11/2010 02:28, Robillard, Greg L wrote:
> I am relatively unfamiliar with tomcat.  I am currently running 6.26 in a production system that support 1 webapp for approximately 60 clients that continually poll the server for updates ( weather files ).
>
> Is there any reason why I should upgrade to tomcat 7.0 release.

Yes, there are, but you should note that most release versions of Tomcat
are associated with a version of the Servlet Specification (Servlet 3.0
in 7.0's case).  See:

 http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

Tomcat 7.0 has not yet been declared stable, but is thought to be
approaching that point.

If you need or want Servlet 3.0 features then yes, upgrade, - if not, is
there a compelling reason to upgrade?  Perhaps not yet.

Upgrading to the 'latest and greatest' may not be necessary for you at
this point, but I'd recommend trying it in a dev environment, if you
have one, because getting feedback about the server is important.