Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/05/17 16:37:13 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf.in

On 17 May 2002 brianp@apache.org wrote:

> brianp      02/05/16 18:43:52
>
>   Modified:    docs/conf httpd-std.conf.in
>   Log:
>   Added EnableMMAP (commented out) to the standard config

Is this a directive that pretty much everyone using apache needs to know
about?  My guess is no, and if that is the case, it really doesn't need to
be in the default config file.  Even if it does need to be in there, it
could use a significantly briefer description.  Instead, you could
consider documenting it further in the performance-notes in the manual.

(Sorry, but if we did this for every apache directive, the config file
would be completely horrible.  At the moment it is only a little
horrible.)

Joshua.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf.in

Posted by Brian Pane <br...@cnet.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 17 May 2002 brianp@apache.org wrote:
>

>>brianp      02/05/16 18:43:52
>>
>>  Modified:    docs/conf httpd-std.conf.in
>>  Log:
>>  Added EnableMMAP (commented out) to the standard config
>>

>Is this a directive that pretty much everyone using apache needs to know
>about?

Yes, especially considering the NFS segfault issues.

>  My guess is no, and if that is the case, it really doesn't need to
>be in the default config file.  Even if it does need to be in there, it
>could use a significantly briefer description.  Instead, you could
>consider documenting it further in the performance-notes in the manual.

+0 for using a shorter description (we could replace some details with
   a "please read the manual" warning, like what we do with ServerRoot)

+1 for adding it to the performance notes also.  This is one of the many
   2.0 changes that need to be included in the performance notes.  Is there
   any plan to replace that document entirely, or is it safe to do
incremental
   edits to it?

--Brian

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf.in

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 17 May 2002 brianp@apache.org wrote:

>   Added EnableMMAP (commented out) to the standard config

I lost your response to my question, but I think I remember the gist of
it.  To respond:

1. It seems pretty nasty that we need to people to adjust their
configuration based on the underlying filesystem.  Isn't there some better
way to do this?  Does this problem also exist in 1.3?

2. Re the performance notes, they do need a massive overhaul, but I don't
know that anyone has the plans to do it.  Please feel free to make
whatever small changes you want, and I'm sure they will get preserved in
any rewrite.

Joshua.