Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/16 13:31:58 UTC

svnadmin upgrade

Can I run svnadmin upgrade while the repository is live?

I am serving my repos from svnserve and they are currently format=3

Thanks
troy

Re: svnadmin upgrade

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Hari Kodungallur wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can I run svnadmin upgrade while the repository is live?
>>
>> I am serving my repos from svnserve and they are currently format=3
>>

> Probably not a good idea to upgrade it when it is live. If you are upgrading
> to latest version (format=5), you will need to dump the repository using
> your old version of svnadmin, then recreate it using new version of
> svnadmin.

Actually, you don't need to do a dump/reload when upgrading Subversion.  That's
one of the reasons we provided 'svnadmin upgrade'.  'svnadmin upgrade' acquires
the correct locks before doing its dirty work, so it can be run on a live
repository.

> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

That document seems woefully out-of-date; it doesn't even mention 'svnadmin
upgrade'.

Out of curiosity, which version are you upgrading to/from?

-Hyrum

Re: svnadmin upgrade

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I run svnadmin upgrade while the repository is live?
>
> I am serving my repos from svnserve and they are currently format=3

Probably not a good idea to upgrade it when it is live. If you are upgrading
to latest version (format=5), you will need to dump the repository using
your old version of svnadmin, then recreate it using new version of
svnadmin.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

thanks,
-Hari