Posted to dev@shardingsphere.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/13 05:02:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] Set up new work flow for ShardingSphere

Hi ShardingSphere

With the one whole week at ApacheCon NA, I finally got time to take with
Liang Zhang for a long time(several days) about the community and workflow
of ShardingSphere community.
First of all, due to our discussion for lower the bar, we have more
committers and will have more PPMC. This is a good sign for our community
growth.
But, I also hope we could do much better than now.

It is about the open source workflow, I am aware of that, today most
features of ShardingSphere still come from the initial committer team
inside JD.com.
This is not a bad thing, but I want to involve more contributors in, engage
with them, encourage them, and make them feel being a part of the core
team, rather than following the contribution guidelines, or do outside
supports.

(For the core team, I mean the ShardingSphere could trust the workflow, a
contributor out of jd.com, could do a core feature change with clear path
and accepted by the PPMC)

For making the community more open, I suggest
1. Make sure all changes must through pull request, no commit(especially
for initial committer) lands on master/dev branch directly.
2. All pull request must be reviewed by at least one committer, and get
approvement. Also don't get `request change` from the committer
3. Pull request should be goal clear, small enough to be reviewed. Today,
too many huge PR with over 40+ files change, even 1k+ lines. Those are
impossible to be reviewed.
4. Pull request should be `squash and merge`, rather than today, the commit
log is not controlled, it becomes unreadable and unreasonable.
5. All pull request must have a clear description of why do this change and
how. If necessary, provide the design document.

ShardingSphere hopes to move fast, it totally makes sense to me, but all
actions need to follow open source culture. Being open, understandable and
trackable.
Not just for codes, but for Issue, Pull Request, Design, Proposal, Review.

The core goal of all these suggestions is, make new contributors, existing
contributors, and committer out of jd.com team, understand what is
happening in the community.

One of the most talking about issue is, people are keeping waiting for core
team to fix or do a new release, then only use it than contributing to the
upstream.
The root cause is the path of development is unclear from an individual out
of the team.

Please feedback about what do you feel about this, and do we want to do
this.

This is my most wanted change to ShardingSphere before the graduation, in
order to make it possible to become an active, open, diversity community.
You don't need to agree to me, this is just my feeling. I am away from code
contributions to ShardingSphere for a long time, even before joining the
incubator and open source happens.
So, maybe there is some pain I am not aware of, please bring it up, and
talk.

Sheng Wu 吴晟

Apache SkyWalking
Apache Incubator
Apache ShardingSphere, ECharts, DolphinScheduler podlings
Zipkin
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [DISCUSS] Set up new work flow for ShardingSphere

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
It's easy to make a offline discussion if you are setting together,
but it's impossible for the outside contributor to know the design
details without having a face 2 face talk with the core development
team.   Open Source means openness and cooperation, we should avoid
internal discussions to keep the community updated with latest
roadmap.
I agree with wushen and growing the community should be the high
priority for the podling projects.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org>.
Yes, I agree to set up workflow for ShardingSphere. After discussion, I
think make a general and clear open source rule and workflow is important.
I talk with Craig during ApacheCon, he also suggested that.

ShardingSphere has entered apache incubator about 10 moths, I am glad to
see our improvement for the community. After what we understand apache way
more and more, we should keep improving and practice apache way better.

The changes has already happened for all of the 5 lists above.

Liang Zhang (John)
Apache ShardingSphere & Dubbo

zhaojun <zh...@126.com> 于2019年9月13日周五 下午8:46写道:

Posted by zhaojun <zh...@126.com>.