Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Deepak Vohra <dv...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/14 21:13:37 UTC

Interested in applying as a technical writer

I am interested in applying as a technical writer to the Apache Flink project in Google Season of Docs. In the project exploration phase I would like to introduce myself as a potential applicant (when the application opens). I have experience using several data processing frameworks and have published dozens of articles and a few books on the same. Some books on similar topics :
 1.Practical Hadoop Ecosystemhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0NAHU3/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i5
2. Apache HBase Primerhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTOSTAB/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1
I have also published 5 other books on Docker and Kubernetes; Kubernetes being a commonly used deployment platform for Apache Flink.
regards,Deepak

Re: Interested in applying as a technical writer

Posted by Deepak Vohra <dv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Marta,
I am unless it has changed as I completed a project in 2019 also. Nevertheless, thanks for the link.
 regards,Deepak    On Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 05:50:52 a.m. PDT, Marta Paes Moreira <ma...@ververica.com> wrote:

 Great! Are you familiar with the Google Season of Docs application process?

I'm sharing the link in case you need more information, just in case [1]. You can submit your ideas until July 9th.

Thanks again for your interest, Deepak! Let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Marta

[1] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/tech-writer-application-hints
On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Deepak Vohra <dv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Marta,
Thanks for directing me to the project  Improve the Table API & SQL Documentation. I would be interested in Improve the Table API & SQL Documentation. These are more aligned with my background in relational databases  as I have used almost all commonly used relational databases. Moreover, the API is in Java, and I am Oracle certified Java Programmer.

Deepak    On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 10:33:56 p.m. PDT, Marta Paes Moreira <ma...@ververica.com> wrote:

 Hi, Deepak!

In reply to your email (below): the project proposal [1] focuses on the Table API / SQL, so I'm afraid that working on the DataSet API documentation is out of scope for our participation in Google Season of Docs.

Is there anything within the scope of the proposal that you'd like to work on instead?

Otherwise, you can open a JIRA [2] ticket and propose these improvements as a regular community contribution. Just for reference, the DataSet API is going to be deprecated in the future in favour of a unified batch/streaming API [3].

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marta

[1] https://flink.apache.org/news/2020/05/04/season-of-docs.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/FLINK/summary
[3] https://flink.apache.org/roadmap.html#batch-and-streaming-unification

"Thanks Marta,
One of the lacking features I noticed is that several example programs are missing for Java and Scala as in Data Sources section on page Apache Flink 1.10 Documentation: Flink DataSet API Programming Guide

|  |
Apache Flink 1.10 Documentation: Flink DataSet API Programming Guide

I could develop the example programs among other additions.
regards,Deepak"
On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 6:56 PM Marta Paes Moreira <ma...@ververica.com> wrote:

Hi, Deepak!

At the time, I didn't notice you were potentially not subscribed to the mailing list, so you may not have gotten my reply. Just resending it in case you didn't get it!

"
| date: | May 15, 2020, 2:53 PM |

Hi, Deepak.

Thanks for the introduction — it's cool to see that you're interested in contributing to Flink as part of GSoD!
We're looking forward to receiving your application! Let us know if you have any questions, in the meantime.

Marta"

Posted by Marta Paes Moreira <ma...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Marta Paes Moreira <ma...@ververica.com>.
Hi, Deepak!