Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sreejith Ramakrishnan <sr...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/17 22:44:39 UTC

I'm interested in working with HDFS-4680. Can somebody be a mentor?

Hey,

I was originally researching options to work on ACCUMULO-1197. Basically,
it was a bid to pass trace functionality through the DFSClient. I discussed
with the guys over there on implementing a Google Dapper-style trace with
HTrace. The guys at HBase are also trying to achieve the same HTrace
integration [HBASE-6449]

But, that meant adding stuff to the RPC in HDFS. For a start, we've to add
a 64-bit span-id to every RPC with tracing enabled. There's some more in
the original Dapper paper and HTrace documentation.

I was told by the Accumulo people to talk with and seek help from the
experts at HDFS. I'm open to suggestions.

Additionally, I'm participating in a Joint Mentoring Programme by Apache
which is quite similar to GSoC. Luciano Resende (Community Development,
Apache) is incharge of the programme. I'll attach a link. The last date is
19th July. So, I'm pretty tensed without any mentors :(

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1197
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-4680
[3] https://github.com/cloudera/htrace
[4] http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6449

Thank you,
Sreejith R

Re: I'm interested in working with HDFS-4680. Can somebody be a mentor?

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Andrew Wang has been working on getting this kind of Dapper-style
trace functionality in HDFS.  He is on vacation this week, but next
week he might have some ideas about how you could contribute and/or
integrate with his patch.  Doing this right with security, etc is a
pretty big project and I think he wanted to do it incrementally.

best,
Colin McCabe

Posted by Sreejith Ramakrishnan <sr...@gmail.com>.
Being a mentor, the duty is to introduce the candidate to open source
development and guide him in aspects related to how open source works. Like
how to make patches, how to ask for help in a mailing list etc. That's the
essence.

I'm ready to work on this anyway. But, if somebody could be my mentor, I
could also be part of the programme and can have something to add on the
resume too when this ends. Please do tell me if someone is interested. The
deadline is 19th July which is tonight :(

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
I'm happy to help with this as well. I actually have a prototype patch that
I built during a hackathon a few months ago, and was able to get a full
stack trace including Client, NN, and DN. I'm on vacation this week but
will try to post my prototype upstream when I get back. Feel free to ping
me on this if I slack :)

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: I'm interested in working with HDFS-4680. Can somebody be a mentor?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.