Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Urs Eichmann <ur...@prismanet.ch> on 2005/06/22 18:39:26 UTC

Weird Problem with Lucene

My index consists of about 26 fields. I have a very wierd problem: On
certain fields, I cannot search - i.e. the search always returns 0
documents. I used Luke's Lucene Index Toolbox, and the behaviour there is
weird as well:

I do the following in Luke's Program:

a) go to the Documents Tab
b) Enter term field-name: unit and value="DOSE", hit "Show all docs"
c) A list of 5 documents is displayed, which is ok. The query is unit:DOSE.
The parsed query is unit:DOSE and the rewritten query is unit:dose
d) Then I just hit the "Search" button without changing the query
e) now the result list is empty. The only difference I can see is that the
parsed query is unit:dose now instead of unit:DOSE.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour? The problem is, the same
behaviour is in my program, e.g. if I look for "unit:DOSE", I will get no
documents returned. However, on many of the other 26 fields, it runs OK, and
I can't see any difference in the field definitions.

I had this problem in 1.4.3, changed now to 1.9 RC1, but the problem is
still the same.

Many thanks for any help!
Urs

Re: Weird Problem with Lucene

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I do the following in Luke's Program:

I have to confess, i've never acctually gotten arround to using Luke, but
if i understand what you're saying, and if Luke is doing what i think it
is, then i believe your problem is an Analyzer issue...

: b) Enter term field-name: unit and value="DOSE", hit "Show all docs"
: c) A list of 5 documents is displayed, which is ok. The query is unit:DOSE.
: The parsed query is unit:DOSE and the rewritten query is unit:dose

I'm assuming that when you enter that info in, Luke is doing a strict
TermDocs lookup for Term("unit","DOSE") and finding your docs.  Then maybe
it's making a TermQuery out of that Term, showing you the toString on that
query, and the toString of hte query it gets from the QueryParser ... but
it looks like the QueryParser is using an Analizer that lowercases your
term (making it "dose" instead of "DOSE")

When you do a search on this new TermQuery -- you get nothing, becuase
that's not the acctual term in your index.

: Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour? The problem is, the same
: behaviour is in my program, e.g. if I look for "unit:DOSE", I will get no
: documents returned. However, on many of the other 26 fields, it runs OK, and
: I can't see any difference in the field definitions.

do you see common behavior for all fields which are (non-)tokenized?

if so, then like i said: analyzer.  your query parser is probabbly not
using the analyzer you want it to.

-Hoss

Re: Weird Problem with Lucene

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Please send us a (short and sweet) example that demonstrates this
issue - preferably using RAMDirectory in a way that is easily
runnable by someone else.

Thanks,
     Erik

Posted by JM Tinghir <jm...@gmail.com>.