Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Fred Zappert <fz...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/16 22:53:08 UTC

Are there any single points of failure in a HBase configuration

Hi,

We're considering HBase for a customer-facing SaaS.  I saw some references
to Master instance, and failure/failover scenarios on this list.

We would be running this across at least two data centers in different
cities or sates.

Which leads to the following questions:

1. Are there any single points of failure in an HBase configuration.

2: What would be the impact of one data center being down?

3: What would be the recovery time and procedure to restore normal operation
on a new master?

There are approximately 4M transactions/day

Thanks,

Fred.

Re: Are there any single points of failure in a HBase configuration

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi,

We would definitely not do 2PC for HBase replication. See HBASE-1295 for what is currently on deck.
That's not the final word; it's a work in progress. I've been editing the attached deck this afternoon in fact. Ryan and Jon Gray (and others) may have different/additional ideas.

  - Andy

________________________________
Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
Any replication support in 0.21 won't be even close to 2PC, since it's more
or less a nightmare.

But your approach sounds good in the mean time.

Good luck!
-ryan

Posted by Fred Zappert <fz...@gmail.com>.
Ryan,