Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Chen, Haifeng" <ha...@intel.com> on 2016/05/09 08:46:08 UTC

Help on Legal with US Export classification & ECCN registration for Commons Crypto

Dear sir,
Commons Crypto is a new module in Apache Commons and we are preparing a the first release.

Stian has pointed out there may be needed to do US Export classification & ECCN registration [1]. I checked http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html page but not sure about what steps we need to do before we release Apache Commons Crypto so that it can comply the legal requirements. Would you please help analyze this situation and indicate the steps?

Apache Commons Crypto is a library providing symmetric encryption and decryption for AES by wrapping Java JCE Cipher or OpenSSL API. Namely, it doesn't implement the algorithm directly, but provide intermediate helper classes to use JCE Cipher or OpenSSL. It will NOT include either Java or OpenSSL binaries as part of this library's binary.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/4at6msgqdxq4g4h6

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRYPTO-54

Regards,
Haifeng