Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Prasad Balasubramanian <be...@coppercom.com> on 2001/04/02 18:46:58 UTC

interoperability

  Hi,
I'm new to log4cpp and want to know whether it can
interwork with log4j remote logging server. I've an embedded box full of c
and c++ implementations and a (log4j) logging server. Can the (java) server
receive loggingevents and can log the events from c++ client without much
code change either at the client or server. I would appreciate if someone
could reply ASAP.
Thanks
Prasad

Re: interoperability

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
At 13:18 03.04.2001 +1000, Jeff Turner wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 09:46:58AM -0700, Prasad Balasubramanian wrote:
>>   Hi,
>> I'm new to log4cpp and want to know whether it can
>> interwork with log4j remote logging server. I've an embedded box full of c
>> and c++ implementations and a (log4j) logging server. Can the (java) server
>> receive loggingevents and can log the events from c++ client without much
>> code change either at the client or server.
>
>You could change both to log to an IRC server ;)
>
>http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-cooltools_p.html

Jeff,

Cool idea. Thanks for the link. Ceki

Re: interoperability

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
At 20:19 02.04.2001 +0200, Anders Kristensen wrote:
>However, you might write another TCP based appender which implements
>it's own custom logging event serialization scheme. This should be quite
>straightforward and the changes to the remote logging station would be
>fairly small.  I haven't had time to read it yet, but maybe the reliable
>syslog protocol described in
>
>  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-reliable-05.txt
>
>would make for an interesting addition to log4j.

Thanks Anders. Looks like a worthwhile protocol to read and learn. Cheers, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü          Web: http://qos.ch
                email: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

Re: interoperability

Posted by Anders Kristensen <ak...@dynamicsoft.com>.
The remote logging server that's part of the log4j distribution is
fairly simple and is, I believe, mostly intended for demonstration (it's
quite good, though). Clients connect to it using the SocketAppender
which sends serialized logging events over TCP. You cannot connect to
the server from a C/C++ client because you cannot (easily) create the
effect of serialized Java LoggingEvent objects.

However, you might write another TCP based appender which implements
it's own custom logging event serialization scheme. This should be quite
straightforward and the changes to the remote logging station would be
fairly small.  I haven't had time to read it yet, but maybe the reliable
syslog protocol described in

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-reliable-05.txt

would make for an interesting addition to log4j.

Anders

bug in v6.12.2000 - dynamic reloading of configuration file

Posted by Alain RAVET <ar...@cirb.irisnet.be>.
In the version 6-12-2000, there is a bug in the configuration file reloading
handling.

( used with PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch( "conf.log4j", 1000 *
1));

--------------------
How to reproduce the bug ?
--------------------

--------------------
step 1 :
only display WARN level messages :
=> OK
(note the commented 2nd line)
--------------------
   partial contents of conf.log4j :
   --------------------------------
   >  log4j.rootCategory=WARN,RFile1,stdout
   >  #log4j.category.callStack=ERROR

--------------------
step 2 :
also display INFO level messages, for the "callstack" category,
by uncommenting the 2nd line
=> OK
--------------------
   >  log4j.rootCategory=WARN,RFile1,stdout
   >  log4j.category.callStack=INFO

--------------------
step 3 :
stop displaying the INFO level messages, for the "callstack" category,
by commenting the 2nd line
=> not OK : does not detect the change, and keeps displaying ...
   >  log4j.rootCategory=WARN,RFile1,stdout
   >  #log4j.category.callStack=INFO

step 4 :
stop displaying the INFO level messages, for the "callstack" category,
by setting the threshold to FATAL
=> ok : detects the change.

Re: interoperability

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.