Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Todd Orr <to...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/25 20:41:05 UTC

Form Object Weird Update Behavior

I have an object with properties id and name. I have a form that
displays editable inputs for the object's name property. This page
implements PageBeginRenderListener. I have the following set/get
methods:

@InitialValue("ognl:new com.foo.Bar()")
public abstract Bar getBar();
public abstract void setBar(Bar bar);

This form doubles as both a new creation form or edit existing form
based on whether the bar.id is not null, as it will be null on new
instantiation. In the case of edits, the object is set from a listing
page using the setter above. In the page the TextField values are
ognl:bar.name and ognl:bar.id. The form submits to the listener
onCreateEditBar. Nothing special so far.

When editing, I see in my debugger that when the form is first
executed from the list page the bar property is set with both the id
and the name attributes. The form displays both of these in their
respective TextField components. When I submit the form, something
weird happens. When I stop at a break point in onCreateEditBar, the id
is set, but the name is null. Nowhere in any code I've written is the
name getting set to null. However, it is definitely null. So, when it
is persisted to the db, I get null names.

This seems really weird. Why does the id remain, but the name get removed?

Thanks

Re: Form Object Weird Update Behavior

Posted by Todd Orr <to...@gmail.com>.
I cannot provide source as it is confidential. I have been unable to
recreate the behavior using seperate files. It seems there may be
something particular about these specific files. If I discover any
gems, I will update this thread.

Posted by Gunna Satria <gu...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Todd,

On 6/25/06, Todd Orr  wrote:
> BTW, this also happens for new Bar creation. Both id (expected) and
> name (unexpected) are null.
>
> On 6/25/06, Todd Orr  wrote:
> > I have an object with properties id and name. I have a form that
> > displays editable inputs for the object's name property. This page
> > implements PageBeginRenderListener. I have the following set/get
> > methods:
> >
> > @InitialValue("ognl:new com.foo.Bar()")
> > public abstract Bar getBar();
> > public abstract void setBar(Bar bar);
> >
> > This form doubles as both a new creation form or edit existing form
> > based on whether the bar.id is not null, as it will be null on new
> > instantiation. In the case of edits, the object is set from a listing
> > page using the setter above. In the page the TextField values are
> > ognl:bar.name and ognl:bar.id. The form submits to the listener
> > onCreateEditBar. Nothing special so far.
> >
> > When editing, I see in my debugger that when the form is first
> > executed from the list page the bar property is set with both the id
> > and the name attributes. The form displays both of these in their
> > respective TextField components. When I submit the form, something
> > weird happens. When I stop at a break point in onCreateEditBar, the id
> > is set, but the name is null. Nowhere in any code I've written is the
> > name getting set to null. However, it is definitely null. So, when it
> > is persisted to the db, I get null names.
> >
> > This seems really weird. Why does the id remain, but the name get removed?
> >
> > Thanks

Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football ’06 - Go with the leader. Start your league today!

Re: Form Object Weird Update Behavior

Posted by Todd Orr <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Orr <to...@gmail.com>.