Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Skora <js...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/18 21:20:38 UTC

Testing handling of static class methods

For unit testing, one problem I've run into is overriding the returns from
static class methods.

For instance, PutJMS contains this code:

try {
>     wrappedProducer = JmsFactory.createMessageProducer(context, true);
>     logger.info("Connected to JMS server {}",
>             new Object[]{context.getProperty(URL).getValue()});
> } catch (final JMSException e) {
>     logger.error("Failed to connect to JMS Server due to {}", new
> Object[]{e});
>     session.transfer(flowFiles, REL_FAILURE);
>     context.yield();
>     return;
> }

where JmsFactory.createmessageProducer call being defined as

public static WrappedMessageProducer createMessageProducer(...

which presents a problem since it can't be easily overridden for a unit
test.  Exercising the

How you handle this problem?

Regards,
Joe

Re: Testing handling of static class methods

Posted by Matthew Burgess <ma...@gmail.com>.
Definitely a topic ripe for debate :) In my view there’s a whole spectrum, with one side being the case Oleg describes, where the existing encapsulation is not compromised solely for the sake of testing. On the far side is pure design-by-contract. For example, the case could be made that the JMS processor should not be so tightly coupled to a particular client, and certainly not to a class but rather to an interface. Another upside for moving the client call to a protected method is not just for testing but so that child classes can override, which is not an encapsulation thing but inheritance. That might not be useful in this particular case, but if we’re talking OO in general then it applies.

Since Bryan has cited precedence for the inner class stuff in NiFi, I tend towards that as a consistent approach. Then again, to quote my close friend Oscar Wilde ;) "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" lol

Cheers!
Matt

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
You could use PowerMock to either call private static methods directly
or to mock them out.

https://github.com/jayway/powermock/wiki/MockStatic

https://github.com/jayway/powermock/wiki/MockPrivate

https://github.com/jayway/powermock/wiki/BypassEncapsulation#invoking-a-private-method