Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2010/01/15 23:02:26 UTC

Vote on getting org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapred back in 0.21

Hi devs,

The removing of the old HBase mapred API while Hadoop 0.21 is still
keeping it causes the situation where we are forcing users to migrate
while they may not have to. Also, other projects like cascading
continue to rely on the old Hadoop mapred API so their HBase module
will break. This is very problematic.

What I propose is that we get the org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapred
package back in 0.21. To do that, we need to refactor all the
dependencies on the old client API to use the new one. The impact on
users upgrading from 0.20 to 0.21 with MR jobs using the old package
will be the same, they will have to change all the client calls in
their code.

This is ok with everyone?

If the vote passes, I will do the work.

J-D

Re: Vote on getting org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapred back in 0.21

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I'm fine w/ us requiring mapreduce as opposed to mapred going into 0.21
except for the part where we'll break our cascading hookup.  So, +1 (Let me
ping Chris to see if this mapred vs mapreduce story for cascading is going
to change any time soon).
St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1 since Hadoop 0.21 is keeping it.