Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jason Smith <jh...@apache.org> on 2012/03/01 01:27:41 UTC

Experiments with Git

Hi, all.

I hope you will pardon my commits to the repository. My plan is to try
to stumble upon some useful custom or workflow. Please let me know if
you have feedback or views.

Piggybacking off of Randall's idea, I have made a branch for every
JIRA ticket that I am interested or involved in. I would personally
like to see more branching and merging in the repo--to see it look
less like a Subversion timeline.

Once 1.2 is out, I also intend to push some feature branches, with no
intention for short-term merging, just to get them out there in the
open. I hope Benoit might push up some refuge  work, or others can
exercise their branches similarly.

Re: Experiments with Git

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
I'd say, branch away!

Re: Experiments with Git

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However I don't think it's OK to ask for  a branch / fix especially
> when diff < 200 LOC even if we use branch locally.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly.

We should not ask for a branch when it is a small issue.

--
Iris Couch

Re: Experiments with Git

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Jason Smith <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I hope you will pardon my commits to the repository. My plan is to try
> to stumble upon some useful custom or workflow. Please let me know if
> you have feedback or views.
>
> Piggybacking off of Randall's idea, I have made a branch for every
> JIRA ticket that I am interested or involved in. I would personally
> like to see more branching and merging in the repo--to see it look
> less like a Subversion timeline.
>
> Once 1.2 is out, I also intend to push some feature branches, with no
> intention for short-term merging, just to get them out there in the
> open. I hope Benoit might push up some refuge  work, or others can
> exercise their branches similarly.

I think it's OK to have feature branches,  I expect either  changes
from bigcouch and refuge will land that way.

However I don't think it's OK to ask for  a branch / fix especially
when diff < 200 LOC even if we use branch locally. Some are just
stashing instead of branching ...

- benoît