Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bearingpoint.com> on 2004/10/05 14:50:34 UTC

Re: Unlocatable exception withinhttpclient.HttpRecoverableException

Jeff,

Sometimes, usually when under heavy load, the web server may be able to
receive requests but unable to process them due to low resources (most
commonly worker threads). In such a case the web server may simply have
no other choice but to drop the connection without sending back any
status code. This in turn causes HttpClient to throw a
HttpRecoverableException "unable to find line starting with "HTTP""

Can it be that you have been stressing the server a bit too much?

Anyways, usually "unable to find line starting with "HTTP"" exception is
not a HttpClient fault, but that of the target server. The regrettable
thing about it it is a poor choice of exception class name and a
misleading error message. (This problem has already been fixed in
HttpClient 3.0)

Hope this helps a little

Oleg

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 08:27, Jeff Fern wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running Tomcat 5.0.27 with Java 1.4.2 on my local machine (Debian
> sarge). I have a Java webapp running on Tomcat, which outputs XML and I am
> using Cocoon 2.1 to style the XML with a static XSLT stylesheet to generate
> HTML.
>
> I have managed to generate an bug which occurs about 80% of the time.
>
> When I submit a form, cocoon generates one of a couple of errors:
>
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: There is a problem with the URI:
>

> <http://127.0.0.1:8080/Conference/GetConference?conferenceName=UbiComp%20200
> 5>
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/Conference/GetConference?conferenceName=UbiComp%202005
> :
>
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException:
>
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException: Error in parsing the
> status line from the response: unable to find line starting with "HTTP"
>
> or org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: There is a problem with the
>
> URI:  <http://127.0.0.1:8080/Conference/AddDetails>
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/Conference/AddDetails:
>
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException:
>
> java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
>
> Trying to re-submit the same information sometimes displays the correct
> results, sometimes generates an error.
>
> I have enabled logging with log4j using the examples at
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html The only ouput
> generated in the log file is:
>
> - Recoverable exception caught when processing request
>
> - Recoverable exception caught but MethodRetryHandler.retryMethod()
>
> returned false, rethrowing exception
>
> I have also tried my code on Tomcat 5.5 with Java 1.5 and get the exact same
> results.
>
> I am unable to locate any piece of my code that causes this error.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated,
>
> Regards,
>

> -Jeff Fern

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.

Re: Unlocatable exception withinhttpclient.HttpRecoverableException

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Jeff,

Is it possible that you're using the same HttpConnection from more than
one thread/method?  Is the same SimpleHttpConnectionManager being
shared?

If not I would suggest disabling connection reuse.  This can usually be
done by setting the following header on each method.

method.setRequestHeader("Connection", "close");

Mike