Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/22 16:11:06 UTC

tapestry-security and sso

Hi,

just wondered... (nothing concrete)

about a tapestry app implementing single -sign on...

does tapestry-security integrates with a CAS server? ( I 'm thinking about
that because I 've never used shiro although I could start using it, no
problem. But I come from acegi where it integrated with CAS for
single-sign-on)

perhaps single sign on would be better implemented any other way rather than
a cas server...,

I 've heard about tynamo federeated-accounts using OAuth but I really don't
know if that would fill the gaps of a requirement that I got which is, to
build a couple of (tapestry) web apps and that they should
perform as in single sign on scenario..., like once logged on an app I could
acess the other without logging in again.

I would appreaciate any advice or insight you may have on this...

cheers and thanks

Nicolás.-

Re: tapestry-security and sso

Posted by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks Kalle for your response...

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Well, there are plenty of single-sign-on solutions but if you have a
> CAS server that's what you need to use.

In fact, we ain't got nothing implemented yet and I could choose among
different solutions, and I mentioned
CAS because it was the only thing I knew from a years ago when I had a look
a this subject...

perhaps somebody rises up here telling me "don't use cas because X, try this
newer, more practical solution"...
I would be glad to investigate about any recommendations anyone could give
:)

well thanks again for your answer about shiro statu's,

cheers!

Nicolás.-

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com>.
Vangel,

thank you so much for your clean explanation and the online example you
offer...

I 'll take all this into account,

cheers!

Nicolás.-

Posted by "Vangel V. Ajanovski" <aj...@ii.edu.mk>.
Sorry for late answer - we use CAS at our institution and I found it is
very easy to front Tapestry with CAS even from scratch.

Some 2-3 years ago I found a tutorial on the web how to do that with
help of Spring Security (previuosly named Acegi), but later I learned a
bit how to do it from scratch because I don't want Spring wasting more
resources.

Basically there exists a ready to use CAS SSO filter that you include in
the project and configure (let's say via dependency in pom.xml and
config in web.xml) so that it will be called before a set of pages that
you need to protect.

So, how it works?

The filter will check for tickets and if you are logged in it will pass
you to the page, otherwise will redirect to the cas login address.

In your application you just check the REMOTE_USER variable which will
be set to the username of the logged in user. This is set by the CAS
filter and will only be set if someone is logged in. Very simple.

Check here for examples from our students information system
(enrollment, grades, courses):
http://develop.ii.edu.mk/projects/isii/browser/trunk

Especially check for CAS references in:
pom.xml
web.xml
mk.edu.ii.isii.upisi.model.UserInfo

UserInfo is a sessionstate object that we keep arround in the session
that holds who is logged in and what role, etc.

Of course since CAS is only for authentication (login logout), we
implemented some access control by checking the logged in user in the
database and using annotations (ex. @AdministratorPage) placed on page
classes for various roles. The access controller only allows access if
the page is accessed by a username that has the appropriate role. For
this check:

mk.edu.ii.isii.upisi.model.UserInfo
mk.edu.ii.isii.upisi.services.AccessController
mk.edu.ii.isii.upisi.annotations...

Posted by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks clement,

will take it into account when implementing sso (although that would be in
some time from here)

cheers all and thanks again!

Nicolás.-

Posted by Clément OUDOT <cl...@gmail.com>.