Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ilya Vishnevsky <Il...@e-legion.com> on 2007/06/07 14:32:54 UTC

Why datanode does not work properly on slave?

Hello! I'm deploying Nutch on two computers. When I run start-all.sh
script all goes good but data node on slave computer does not log
anything. All other parts of Hadoop (namenode, jobtracker, both
tasktrackers and datanode on master) log their information properly.
 Also, when I put some files from local file system into hadoop fs they
are put only into master's data folder. Slave's data folder is empty.
 At the same time when I run stop-all.sh script I get message, that
slave's datanode is being stopped. It means that it has been running
before.
 Do you know what may cause this problem?

Re: Why datanode does not work properly on slave?

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
> Failed to create file ... on client 127.0.0.1 because this cluster has no datanodes.

Check the ip addresses.
If the name-node machine has 2 network cards the name-node may start on
one of them but
the data-nodes will try to contact the other.

There is something wrong with the scripts on Windows. We should file a bug.
I checked that direct calls of
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode
instead of start-dfs actually work fine.

Don't know about your logging problem. Did you check "log4j.properties"?

--Konstantin