Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by "Debo Dutta (dedutta)" <de...@cisco.com> on 2016/06/03 07:43:06 UTC

ML features for Metron

Hi

Wondering if anyone is interested in starting a discussion on what kind of machine learning based features would be good for Metron …. Would love to have the SOC users chime in on the dev list.

The result of the discussion could lead to JIRA items.

thx
debo

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by Debojyoti Dutta <dd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yazan ... these seem like great use cases. Online
clustering/classification makes sense and Metron could leverage Spark....

--
-Debo~

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by Egon Kidmose <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yazan, others

I've ran through and added some of my ideas.
This is my first time with user stories, so please provide any constructive
feedback, whatsoever, and forgive me for breaking any conventions, of which
I know none :)

My input evolves around exploiting that a SOC is generating labels for free
when operating, which in return can be used for training/evaluating ML
models to assist the SOC operation.
My ideas is to keep the human in the loop, to enable both supervised and
unsupervised methods and to aid academics with methods for obtaining labels
for testing, as that is the sole greatest problem (from this here tree I'm
sitting in..)

In brief, the stories I added can be described as follows:

S5 and S6: Alerts (security events, such as IDS alerts) and whether they
are true or false
S7 and S8: Link between events and incidents
S9 and S10: incident management

S5, S7 and S9: Users in the SOC manually labeling data
S6, S8 and S10: ML models providing outputs for users

Mvh. / BR
Egon Kidmose

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by Yazan Boshmaf <bo...@ece.ubc.ca>.
That's a great idea.

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the google doc idea.

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by "Debo Dutta (dedutta)" <de...@cisco.com>.

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by Yazan Boshmaf <bo...@ece.ubc.ca>.
Do we have a roadmap for ML support in Metron? If not, how someone reach
out to existing users of Metron and get more input so that we at least
collect functional requirements?

From my side, I can share some of the nice-to-have features from a research

Re: ML features for Metron

Posted by Debojyoti Dutta <dd...@gmail.com>.