Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Maksim Ananjev <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/19 17:23:18 UTC

suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Hi, Harmony people!

I want to participate in Google Summer Of Code 2008 as a student, and
I have a project in mind, which can be benefitial for Harmony.

I will be happy to complete Class Library up 100% compatibility with java6.

Harmony is claimed to have "near 100%" completeness. As far as I
rememeber, this claim has been made for the last 2 years. It's great
to have such a high level of comleteness, but the question arises "why
not 100%?". As far as I know, Harmony evangelists all over the world
often face such a tough question.

So, I want to have the following fun this summer:

1. Identify what classes and methods are unimplemented in comparison
with Java 6 documentation
2. implement them  :)

There is a project of enabling FreeCol in the list of proposed
projects. Of course, I will have to collaborate with the guy engaged
in this project when it comes to java.image.io classes.

I will be glad to hear from Harmony gurus in this list whether it is
possible to comlete class library in 3 months and who is willing to be
the mentor for such a project,

P.S. About myself: I run for Master's degree in Physics in Novosibirsk
State Unoversity. I have some experience in Java and C++. I
contributed to Harmony VM JIT-compiler: powerful optimization called
"operator strengh reduction"[1] and some perfomance-improving fixes. I
am now working on the vectorization support for Harmony jit compiler.
I hope to have it done this spring.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5090

--
Maksim

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Maksim Ananjev <ma...@gmail.com>.
I am glad that this thread helped to draw attention to classlib
issues. Since it's a big task as a whole, I would probably narrow down
my possible part of work to Drag-and-drop support.

I'm now preparing the application and I will have it submitted tomorrow.

Posted by Andrey Pavlenko <an...@googlemail.com>.
I'd like to be a mentor for the javax.imageio task.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> FYI I've just added RTF parser project to Wiki, see [1]. Feel free to
> add yourself as a second mentor if you like. As far as I understand
> the correct sequence should be the following:
>
> 1. Update ASF Wiki page [1]
> 2. Register in Google GSOC web app [2]
> 3. Add your (GMail) mail alias to [3]
> 4. Subscribe to code-awards@apache.org
> 5. Send a message "hello world, I'd like to be a mentor for project X"
> to code-awards@apache.org
>
> That's all.
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008#harmony
> [2] http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mentor_step1.html
> [3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/MailAlias.txt

Yes, that's right.  Step 3 just ensures that the mentors are ASF
committers.  You may be in the MailAlias.txt file already.

Regards,
Tim

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Maksim,
Feel free to take ownership of the Wiki page [1]. Don't expect any
feedback from me since I cannot read applications submitted to Google.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Drag_and_Drop

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x418 day of Apache Harmony Maksim Ananjev wrote:
> Folks, I have submitted an application for Apache Harmony
> Drag-and-Drop subsystem to GSOC website. I am a bit shy

you are a bit what? =)

Maksim, you proved to know that openness is a key concept in our
project. And I am ansolutely sure, your applications is all cool
stuff. So, please, forget your shyness, go publish the text and shine!

--
Egor Pasko

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Maksim Ananjev <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Maxim,
I have updated the page [1] for your convenience. Thanks for choosing this task.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Drag_and_Drop

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maksim Ananjev <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Maksim.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Hey, I wouldn't want to discourage you from a challenge, but you might
consider completing Java 5 for us before considering Java 6.

The Java 5 API completeness report is here [1].

Fruitful areas of work would include AWT drag and drop support, or
writing an RTF grammar for swing.text.rtf support.

There are also a number of providers that we could use if you want to
tackle some of these.

I hope we can find a mentor for you if you are interested in these
areas, and then we can publish a project that suits your wishes.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~smishura/latest-harmony-japi.html

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Maxim,
This is great. Just imagine how it would look like in your resume:
"For a master degree I created the first 100% complete open source
Java implementation."

As for drag and drop support [1] my investigation shows that
completing it might be a bit trickier than one could expect, and could
take a good amount of your time. Tim's report doesn't tell you that a
good amount of availabile code is good for passing unit tests like the
following one, or as good as dead. You may count on my advise in this
area, though my advances [1] are pretty modest.

try {
  myApiMethod(null);
  fail("NPE expected");
} catch (NullPointerException) {
  /* expected */
}

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Drag_and_Drop

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Maksim,
As I've already said, you may count on my advise, expertise in drag
and drop area. I promise doing my best.

>From the other side it would be better to claim an Apache committer as
an official mentor. Let me hint that Alexey Petrenko, Andrey Pavlenko
and Alexey Ivanov have much more experience with AWT than me, so it
may be worth asking them first. Also, I'm sorry for taking Apache GSoC
rules seriously: they require spending 5 hours per week on mentoring
of each student. If Tharindu quits, I will get more time for
mentoring, but his assuring start makes me think he won't.

Thanks!

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: suggestion for GSoC'08 project

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Andrey,
Thank you!

BTW, Google opens an opportunity for non-profits we can put to good use, see
http://www.google.com/support/grants/

--
With best regards,
Alexei