Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org> on 2012/01/12 15:16:50 UTC

[1 IPMC VOTE NEEDED] [VOTE] Release Apache Rave 0.6-incubating

We still need to get one more IPMC vote to close this vote.  If someone could take a look, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

Re: [1 IPMC VOTE NEEDED] [VOTE] Release Apache Rave 0.6-incubating

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/17/2012 10:41 AM, ant elder wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Ate Douma<at...@douma.nu>  wrote:
>> On 01/13/2012 09:53 AM, ant elder wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had a look, the only issue i see is I don't think the NOTICE file
>>> in the binary distribution is correct as it has many things which i
>>> expect are not required. When we last discussed this on general@ we
>>> said this is not strictly a blocking problem, so
>>>
>>> +1
>>

>> Thanks for the review and vote ant, much appreciated.
>>

>>> but i think you should do a complete review of whats in the NOTICE
>>> file with your mentors and remove everything which doesn't need to be
>>> there.
>>
>> I'm curious what in your opinion doesn't need to be in the NOTICE file.
>> I might have missed some recent discussions on this topic here, but AFAIK
>> all those notices are required.
>> Or did the guidelines really change dramatically recently?
>>

> See this email [1] for an answer to a similar question, also there is
> now a definition of required third party notices at [2].
>
> In a nutshell, very few things actually require mention in the NOTICE
> file, and best not to unless there is a reason to.

Thanks ant,

I've been going through my backlog of still unread general@ list messages since
end of November last night, which I didn't had time to look at before. So I did
find the long, very long, discussion(s) about it.

I can't say it is 100% clear yet and to me it seems like the 'rules' haven't
been 'formalized' or 'codified' properly yet.
To me [2] by itself doesn't explain it good enough at least.
But reading through the whole mail thread(s) does help.

At any way, I think I now understand the arguments *why* we should not have
unnecessary notices: "to keep the burden as low as possible for down stream (re)
distributers as they are required to retain our NOTICE file". Right?

For following releases of Apache Rave I'll re-evaluate our NOTICE file to check
if we actually have unnecessary (not asked for) notices which we can remove then.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Ate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/13/2012 09:53 AM, ant elder wrote:
> I've had a look, the only issue i see is I don't think the NOTICE file
> in the binary distribution is correct as it has many things which i
> expect are not required. When we last discussed this on general@ we
> said this is not strictly a blocking problem, so
>
> +1

Thanks for the review and vote ant, much appreciated.

> but i think you should do a complete review of whats in the NOTICE
> file with your mentors and remove everything which doesn't need to be
> there.
I'm curious what in your opinion doesn't need to be in the NOTICE file.
I might have missed some recent discussions on this topic here, but AFAIK all
those notices are required.
Or did the guidelines really change dramatically recently?

Thanks, Ate

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
>I've had a look, the only issue i see is I don't think the NOTICE file
>in the binary distribution is correct as it has many things which i
>expect are not required. When we last discussed this on general@ we
>said this is not strictly a blocking problem, so
>
>+1
>
>but i think you should do a complete review of whats in the NOTICE
>file with your mentors and remove everything which doesn't need to be
>there.

Thanks for taking a look.  I will take your suggestion back to the DEV list and see if our mentors find any changes that need to be made.

Re: [1 IPMC VOTE NEEDED] [VOTE] Release Apache Rave 0.6-incubating

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.