Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net> on 2006/09/01 21:28:33 UTC

Numeric limitations in Derby - 'Largest decimal precision'

In the Reference manual, http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefnumericlimits.html,
the 'Largest decimal precision' value is listed as 31,255.

Shouldn't this be 31?  Or is there some meaning to the 255 after the 31 that I don't understand?
If there is a meaning to the 255 I think it needs to be explained better what it is.

Also, to be consistent with the case of the other Numeric datatypes I think it should be
'Largest DECIMAL precision' instead of the existing 'Largest decimal precision'.

Thanks,

Susan

Re: Numeric limitations in Derby - 'Largest decimal precision'

Posted by ho...@pacbell.net.
Thanks Andrew.  I updated the http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReferenceManualTenTwo
wiki page to reflect that this change needs to be made in the docs still.

Susan
> the 'Largest decimal precision' value is listed as 31,255.
>
> Shouldn't this be 31?  Or is there some meaning to the 255 after the 31 that I don't understand?

Clearing out some old mail...

Correct. 31 is the greatest DECIMAL precision allowed. The value for
scale should be less than the precision value. Derby certainly does
not allow multiple thousands of digits of decimal precision, so this
entry in the developer's guide appears to be incorrect.

andrew

Re: Numeric limitations in Derby - 'Largest decimal precision'

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.