Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2017/06/09 21:59:06 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Hi,

This is vote for the 0.8.0 release of the FalconJX (and Falcon)
compilers.  There is no separate Falcon-only release package at
this time.  The only purpose of the FalconJX packages are to serve as
upstream packages for the FlexJS release.

The release candidate can be found here;
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/falcon/0.8.0/rc1/

Before voting please review the section, 'What are the ASF requirements on
approving a release?', at:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release

At a minimum you would be expected to check that:
- MD5 and signed packages are correct
- README, RELEASE_NOTES, NOTICE and LICENSE files are all fine
- That the build script completes successfully
- That you can compile using the results of building the source package

The source package is set up the same way as the repo.  This means that
the results of the build are not the same as the binary package.  The
compiled source package can be used to build FlexJS apps via the command
line and Ant, but not in Flash Builder or other IDEs.  You can test the
source
package by building it, then pointing to it from the source package of the
FlexJS release candidate and building the examples in the FlexJS package.

The binary package is set up as an upstream package for the FlexJS
release.  The most convenient way to use the binary package is to install
a FlexJS SDK via Ant or the Installer.

Please vote to approve this release:
+1 Approve the release
-1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments to why)

This vote will be open for 72 hours or until a result can be called.

The vote passes if there is:
- At least 3 +1 votes from the PMC
- More positive votes than negative votes

Remember that this is a 'beta-quality' release so there
will be many bugs found.  The goal is not to try to find and fix bugs
in the RC, but to make sure we have the packaging right, and enough
functionality that folks will have some success trying to use it.

People who are not in PMC are also encouraged to test out the release and
vote, although their votes will not be binding, they can influence how the
PMC votes.

When voting please indicate what OS, IDE, Flash Player version and AIR
version you tested with.

Please put all discussion about this release in the DISCUSSION thread not
this VOTE thread.

For your convenience there is an ant script that automates the common
steps to validate a release.  Instead of individually downloading the
package and signature files, unzipping, etc, you can instead:
1) create an empty folder,
2) download into that folder this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/falcon/0.8.0/rc1/ApproveFalcon.
xml
3) run the script: ant -e -f ApproveFalcon.xml -Drelease.version=0.8.0
-Drc=1

You are not required to use this script, and more testing of the packages
and build results are always encouraged.

Thanks,
Alex Harui

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding) as long as the missing jars are not an issue (see discussion)

I checked on OSX:
- Signatures and hashes correct
- LICENSE and NOTICE correct
- All source files have ASF headers
- No unexpected binary files
- Can compile from source (using mvn)
- Tests pass
- Can use to compile a complex project.  No major issues.

I did note that mvn clean install fails the rat check on 3 files:
  flex-typedefs/google_maps/src/main/patch/google_maps.patch
  flex-typedefs/jquery/src/main/patch/jquery.patch
  flex-typedefs/js/src/main/patch/js.patch

I assume that this can be sorted out one way or another in the next release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)
- Can compile from repository sources by Maven
- Can compile by Ant using ApproveFalcon scrip
- Can compile real world project by Maven using RC1 version of Falcon
- License stuff seems to be ok

Thanks,
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I think this might be some caching of the downloaded file and
possibly is not a reliable repro.
I just checked now and the cached file for svg.js in my .m2\repository\.
cache\maven-download-plugin after my latest build is not patched. But it
definitely was before. So it might be a bit 'random'
Perhaps this can be avoided by some setting in the pom for the download
plugin or by copying the downloaded file and patching it in a different
location.

Whether this happens might simply depend on how quickly maven-download-plugin
caches the downloaded file and whether or not it has already been patched
when it does so. This could account for why some people seem to have
experienced this problem and others have not (with the maven typedefs
build).

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Greg,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Justin experienced this issue, maybe he will try fix with cache.

I can confirm that is the issue is as Greg explained. Like Greg once the issue is fixed it actually hard to reproduce. I have some time today and will look further into it and see if I can reliably reproduce and fix it.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Great!

Thanks Justin and Greg for help! :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

I suggest raise jira for that.

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> If you could once again reproduce this issue and try later whether switch
> off cache help that would be good.
>
> Go to: flex-typedefs\js\pom.xml and add to configuration tag in
> download-maven-plugin
>
> <skipCache>true</skipCache>

And I can confirm that this fixes the issue.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I wonder if you can get in this hole by running Maven without the clean
> target.

No it occurs even with clean specified.

> so it might be better to just bundle and modify.

+1 to that. It’s very likely that old releases of FlexJS may not be able to be compiled in the future as 3rd party files have changed.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I wonder if you can get in this hole by running Maven without the clean
target.

Anyway, after this release, a brave person could also try to replace the
patch with a bundled and modified third-party source file.  It looks like
the files we download and patch are rarely if ever changing so it might be
better to just bundle and modify.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Piotr,

 "If option a - mean avoid caching svg.js file - It is not a problem I know how
to do this for this file and it can be downloaded for each build."

yes, the idea here was to avoid caching the download in the
maven-download-plugin's own cache. I did not know if there was an option to
do with in the
That sounds great (at least for me, I am not concerned about the caching
aspect, but others might be)

for
" b) We are downloading this file to target/downloads/svg.js - Do you mean
changing that location and patch that file in the new location ?"

I don't mean changing the download location, but copying the downloaded
file to a separate location and patching it in a different location.
The idea is that if the maven-download-plugin is caching the file after it
has been patched (and it does seem to happen sometimes, perhaps only
rarely) from the original download location, then copying and patching it
in a different location would avoid the possibility of caching a patched
file from the original download location.

There may be other options to fix the problem I observed  Another option
might be to delay the patching of the downloaded file (maven has build
phases and I notice the patch is in 'validate', same as the download) I did
wonder if it might be possible to defer the patch to a later phase
(assuming any caching activity might then always happen first), but I do
not know enough about this.

Also it looks like we are using version 1.2.1 of the download plugin, and
current version is 1.3.0. I checked the commit history between releases and
there was at least one cache-related commit [1]. A plugin version change
might be worth considering as well, but I am not sure if it will address
the issue.

-Greg

1.
https://github.com/maven-download-plugin/maven-download-plugin/compare/1.2.1...master

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
"But now that you've run Maven again, what version of
svg.js got cached?  The svg.js in my cache does need patching."

I think we crossed email replies because I already added comments about
that -see my previous post if you did not already.

To verify, I copied the downloaded and patched version of svg.js into the
cache, overwriting the last cached version, which was unpatched, and I can
repro the exact same error that I had before. I can only assure you I *did
not* do this originally :)
What I suggested is speculation, but I cannot see how else this could
happen.

So I think the resolution should either be to a) avoid using the download
plugin file cache somehow - or b) to patch a copy of the downloaded files
in a different temp location other than the original download location. I'm
afraid I don't know how to do either in maven at this point.
For now I am happy to find something that seems to 'fix' the issues I was
having with maven typedefs build. fwiw I also had a similar issue with the
googlemaps patch (only during recently builds) , it was the same type of
thing and was no longer apparent after emptying the same file cache.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
A possible clue:

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Quite frankly, I don’t know how to read patch files, and I don’t know what it’s supposed to be doing.

I’m going to leave this to someone who understands this better than I do to figure out… ;-)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
/**
 * @param {string} type
 * @param {!EventListener|(function(!Event): (boolean|undefined))| null} listener
 * @param {boolean=} opt_useCapture
 */
SVGElementInstance.prototype.addEventListener = function(type, listener, opt_useCapture){};

/**
 * @param {string} type
 * @param {!EventListener|(function(!Event): (boolean|undefined))| null} listener
 * @param {boolean=} opt_useCapture

function(!Event) has now become function(Event)

I assume this is from the patch. Other than that, it’s identical.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

$curl https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/closureidl/svg.js > svg.js

1. https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/closureidl/svg.js

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
-1 (binding)

For the same reason Chris reported.

Thanks

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.8.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

    Package https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/falcon/0.8.0/rc1/binaries/apache-flex-falconjx-0.8.0-bin.tar.gz

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.