Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by "John M. Wargo" <jw...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/02 22:13:11 UTC

Serve vs. opening an HTML file in the browser

Can someone help me understand why I would want to use cordova serve rather than just loading the web content in the browser directly (through File - Open for example)?

Is there something special that serve does that makes this approach better?

Re: Serve vs. opening an HTML file in the browser

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
Ok - so anything else I can test - or just chill for now?

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
I can confirm it works. :)

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.
No go. I mean the command ran of course, but upon opening it up in my
browser, I got the same.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
You will need to run:

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Wildshot:  localhost:4400/ripple ?

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
Good news!

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
Took a look at what was breaking ripple and it is a little more involved
then I was hoping:

- Android crashing the browser is caused by changes to how android sets up
it's polling and how the modules all work together in the exec module.  We
used to have everything regarding polling rolled into the
'cordova/plugin/android/polling' module in which ripple would just override
[1] to do nothing since ripple handled everything by replacing the entire
exec function.  I think this module was removed / moved to another place in
3.0 but there is much more thought to be done to get this working better.

Switched over to using the cordova.ios.js file since it doesn't have this
problem and ripple was able to boot and emulate geolocation fine.  The
plugins were not loading from cordova serve ios though (couldn't load
cordova_plugins.js).

I think with some tweaks we could have ripple working on all platform
cordova.js files again.  I am going to need to version out a new platform
for cordova to handle the updated hacks and overrides to boot each platform
cleanly but doesn't seem like an impossible task.

[1] -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ripple/blob/master/lib/client/platform/cordova/2.0.0/spec.js#L81-L83

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "Wargo, John" <jo...@sap.com>.
So, how do I "use" it?

Posted by Ray Camden <ra...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Wolf <Mi...@Cynergy.com>.
This is how we are using itŠ as a local server for remote devices to then
attach for example chrome remote debugging.

mw

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.