Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Astrid Kessler <ke...@kess-net.de> on 2002/12/12 01:43:16 UTC

please review translated stopping

I put the german translation (xml and html) at http://cvs.apache.org/~kess/
Could some of the german speakers pleas review it?

Another question to all:
Do the race conditions mentioned in the appendix at stopping.xml still
exist? Especially the last paragraph seems to be outdated.

Kess

Re: please review translated stopping

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* i.t wrote:

[lot of German]

Nothing to say about the translation, since I didn't look at at. But could
you be so polite and post comments that are not "translated" to the list in
English? Most of the participiants here don't understand German...

Thanks, nd
--
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else
use it, and get a new one every six months.  -- Clifford Stoll

                                    (found in ssl_engine_pphrase.c)

Re: please review translated stopping

Posted by "i.t" <i....@ithum.de>.
msg Donnerstag 12 Dezember 2002 01:43 by Astrid Kessler:
> I put the german translation (xml and html) at http://cvs.apache.org/~kess/
> Could some of the german speakers pleas review it?

Der Befehl apachectl graceful sendet das richtige Signal für Ihre Platform
												  ^

Wenn nach einer Sekunde nicht mindestens StartServers neue Kindprozesse
erstellt wurden, dann werden genügend erstellt, um den Durchsatz zu
beschleunigen. Daher verssucht der Code sowohl die Anzahl der Kinder
					^
 entsprechend der Serverlast anzupassen

(Vorschlag: StartServers bestimmt, wie viele Serverprozesse beim Start erzeugt
werden. Da der Web-Server je nach Datenverkehrsaufkommen Serverprozesse
dynamisch beendet bzw. erzeugt, muss dieser Parameter nicht verändert werden.
Der Web-Server ist so vorkonfiguriert, dass beim Start x gewuenschte
Serverprozesse erzeugt werden. Zur Laufzeit wird die Anzahl der
Serverprozesse dynamisch kontrolliert und je nach Auslastung des Webservers
erhöht oder verringert.)

sicher festzustelen
		       ^

Kommentar: ich weiss wieviel Arbeit und wie schwer es ist, eine solche
Uebersetzung zu machen. Nicht falsch verstehen, Kess: die "woertliche"
Uebersetzung klingt unglaublich hoelzern, man hat den Eindruck, hier hat ein
"native American speaker" versucht das Ganze nach Deutsch zu uebertragen.
Nach meinen Erfahrungen mit der Uebersetzung von mod_proxy und den
dazugehoerigen Diskussionen bin ich selbst zu der Ueberzeugung gekommen es
"so" lieber sein zu lassen. "Meine" Uebersetzung von mod_proxy erscheint
demnaechst in einem Artikel eines Linux-Magazins.

Gruss

--
 . ___
 |  |  Irmund     Thum
 |  |

Re: please review translated stopping

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Astrid Kessler wrote:

> > And I don't particularly like "flie�enden", but I have no good
> > translation for "graceful" either. ("vorsichtig"/"careful"?)
..
> I'm not very pleased with "flie�end". It's only the best, I could find.

In the context it is more like un-interrupted or wihtout being stopped
shortly; so perhaps some derivation of hinter einander, unablassig,
unbehindern, unverhinderd or some thing around that not
interrupted/service continueous aspect.

Dw.

Re: please review translated stopping

Posted by Astrid Kessler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
Well, first, thank you both, Irmund and Michael, for your suggestions. They
will be considered during revision.

But please, if you review a translation, note:
It's only a translation, not a docs rewrite. If we want to enhance the
documentation, we have to do it within the English original.

So if you suggest enhancements, I would be glad, if you could seperate them
a little bit from translation smoothing. This would help much more than the
attempt to clarify issues within the German translation which are
mistakable in the original docs.

Michael, some notes to your comments:

> And I don't particularly like "fließenden", but I have no good
> translation for "graceful" either. ("vorsichtig"/"careful"?)

Yes, a meaningful and nice translation of "graceful" is very, very
difficult. The corresponding German word is "gnadenvoll". nd suggested
"weich". "rücksichtsvoll" is sometimes used for description and may be the
nearest explanation of the effect. But it sounds  - like "gandenvoll" - a
litte bit strange in this context and I could not find a better term. So
I've choosen "fließend", because  graceful does a fluent restart. So
"fließend" describes its funtionality. A similar suggestion may be "sanft"

I'm not very pleased with "fließend". It's only the best, I could find.

And I don't like "vorsichtig" very much, because it sounds to much like
"äh, ich taste mich mal da ran, wie weit ich mit dem Neustart komme" which
gives the wrong impression.

> ... wouldn't "root" qualify to be tagged as <code>...</code?>

Except one occurrence root in not enclosed in <code>...</code> in the whole
docs. Um, I would say: it is depending on the context. If we mean the user
root itself, it should be tagged, if we mean the concept, it shouldn't.

Any comments to this?

> Is there any alternative to having a ScoreBoardFile on the (hard) disk?
> (Like holding it in RAM or whatever.)

Yes, a scoreboard file is only neccessary, if your architecture is not able
to manage it using RAM. E.g. Linux and Windows 2000 do not need it.

> Never use different notions when you mean the same thing.

The original docs often uses the directive names fluently within the text.
So we have to decide for each case to translate and change the sentence and
link or to use the directive name.

> "Er kann nach dem Lesen einer Anfrage aber vor dem Lesen eines
>      Anfrage-Headers enden"
>
> ... who is this "er" here anyway? I cannot detect any reference for it.

"Er" is the child process.

> "dem httpd-Prozess zu signalieren,"
> I wouldn't consider "signalieren" to be a German word. (Google is
> taking my side here, although there are 60 hits worldwide. ;-)

Ough, the terrible knots in my fingers :)

Well, after all, the last section seems heavily outdated as asked at my
initial post. But I'm not sure about and want some developers to explain
these issues. Furthermore, the whole document shoud be clarified much more.
If I find the time and nobody beats me I'll start this based on your
comments.

 Kess