Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by John Harris <jo...@nchd.net> on 2014/11/04 18:31:53 UTC

DIRSTUDIO-962 - Crash at startup : gtk_widget_get_tooltip_text - One Known working solution

The problem noted in the DIRSTUDIO-962 event report appears to be a GTK
related issue.
This as per the original workaround for the platform solutions noted in
the DIRSTUDIO-962 event report.

A solution seems to be to create a "ini" configuration file and tune the
software stack to the local environment.
Of particular importance is the last line. [
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false ]

Contents of working 'ApacheDirectoryStudio.ini' for Linux, located in
the product directory, as per the install guidelines;

-vmargs
## Minimum tested value
## -Xms40m

## Minimum tested value
## -Xmx512m

## My working tested value
-Xms512M
-Xmx2048M
##
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

## My working tested value
-DGIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=true

## This is the magic line, the rest is site and product specific, as
required.
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

To start, you can copy and paste this into a "INI" file and tune as
required.
Strip out the comments not required and adjust your settings (Xms / Xmx
/ XX:MaxPermSize ) as required.

This is a minimal solution, please refer to the Java manuals and guides
for a complete list of options.
Please be conservative, at least to start.
Modify a line at a time, an option at a time.
Should you not need anything else, leave it out.
Also disable any other workaround that you may have active, including
the ones noted for 'DIRSTUDIO-962'.

This was tested on a Centos 6 (workstation) x86-64 platform with 16GB of
memory using a Tyan S7002 Mobo with Dual xeons running a slightly
modified KDE.
However, providing your hardware is stable, hardware shouldn't be an issue.

The issue at hand appears to be the recent GTK upgrades to Debian,
Redhat and related platforms.
This fix also seems to work on prior legacy Eclipse based platforms
before Eclipse Luna.

I would also assume, but have not tested on all such products, that this
would work on legacy Eclipse platforms that utilise legacy (prior to
Luna) Eclipse.
I.E. *Aptana Studio, Zend Studio, **LibreSource, the IBM eclipse based
Tools*, etc.

For other platforms, refer to their guidelines for creating an "INI"
file and it's correct location.

However, as that may be, the only way to find out, is to throw it out
there and test it.
Some feedback, Good, Bad or Indifferent, would also be good, guys.

This works for me in:    Apache directory Studio (Version:
2.0.0.v20130628) for Linux.

Regards,
John

Re: DIRSTUDIO-962 - Crash at startup : gtk_widget_get_tooltip_text - One Known working solution

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks John !

Can you attach your findings and proposed fix to the JIRA ?