Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Robert Buick <ro...@btclick.com> on 2003/12/16 03:14:49 UTC

emails stuck in mail/outgoing

Hi,
My James server (2.1.3 and/or 2.2) can receive emails and clients can
pick them up locally or remotely,just fine.

Local or remote clients cannot however send emails out via James as they
get stuck in mail/outgoing.(ports 25 and 110 are open)

Looking at the logs (with DEBUG set in environment.xml) the smptserver
has successfully spooled them to mail/outgoing, but that is where they
remain.

The mailet log points to the problem: "There are no DNS entries for the
hostname btconnect.com. I cannot determine where to send the message"

or another time it says

"RemoteDelivery:Temporary exception delivering mail
(mail......:javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException..."

and variations on this theme.

I can however ping these machines.

I have set 3 (2 at first) ISP dnserver addresses in their separate
<server> locations, within the dnsserver block of config.xml.

I don't have a local dnsserver, just yet.

Running a dnsreport on my domain name comes up with a single 'A' record
and that is for the www domain name, located remotely elsewhere i.e. I
don't have an 'A' record for my James server; might this be an issue?

My MX record points to my IP address, whereas my Reverse DNS entries for
MX records points to my "friendly hostname"

Thanks for your help,

Rob Buick