Posted to jdo-user@db.apache.org by jamh <ja...@bccampus.ca> on 2008/12/09 22:21:37 UTC

Strange timeout problem

Hello,

I am running into something quite odd, and wanted to see if anyone could
shed light on this.  I have defined two persistence beans as:

<spring:bean id="certPersistFactory" scope="singleton"
class="org.springframework.orm.jdo.LocalPersistenceManagerFactoryBean">
          <spring:property name="jdoProperties">
            <spring:props>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.PersistenceManagerFactoryClass">org.jpox.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory
</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL">jdbc:sqlserver://1.2.3.4:1433;DatabaseName=dbcert;SelectMethod=cursor</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName">user1</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword">passwd1</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName">com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.NontransactionalWrite">true</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="org.jpox.identifier.case">PreserveCase</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="org.jpox.fixedDatastore">true</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="org.jpox.validateTables">false</spring:prop>
            </spring:props>
          </spring:property>
        </spring:bean>

<spring:bean id="prodPersistFactory" scope="singleton"
class="org.springframework.orm.jdo.LocalPersistenceManagerFactoryBean">
          <spring:property name="jdoProperties">
            <spring:props>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.PersistenceManagerFactoryClass">org.jpox.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory
</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL">jdbc:sqlserver://1.2.3.4:9546;DatabaseName=dbcert;SelectMethod=cursor</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName">user2</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword">passwd2</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName">com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="javax.jdo.option.NontransactionalWrite">true</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="org.jpox.identifier.case">PreserveCase</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="org.jpox.fixedDatastore">true</spring:prop>
                <spring:prop
key="org.jpox.validateTables">false</spring:prop>
            </spring:props>
          </spring:property>
        </spring:bean>

So the first strange thing is that if I reverse their order, ie. if I have
the prod bean precede the cert bean, the app won't start, ie. it gives me a
socket error.

The second strange thing is that with the above, all operations to the cert
bean work flawlessly, but operations to the prod bean give me a timeout the
first time, but then after that, they work ever after.

If I restart the app, again the first operation on the prod bean times out,
and after that it works.

PS: if I have two beans that both run on the same port but different hosts,
everything works fine.  The two databases are set up identically.

What is going on?
Any help is appreciated.

Re: Strange timeout problem

Posted by jamh <ja...@bccampus.ca>.

jamh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running into something quite odd, and wanted to see if anyone could
> shed light on this.  I have defined two persistence beans as:
> [...]

Issue solved.  Sqlserver's mirroring setup was responsible for the strange
behavior.