Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by am am <ak...@yahoo.com> on 2010/06/16 22:49:30 UTC

Notification MEP

Hi, I need guidance on the following:
I know that J2EE WS does not support the Notification or Solicit Response Message Exchange Patterns.
Additionally cxf also has not a proprietary solution for this (http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cxf.apache.org/msg10015.html)
My problem is the following:
A web client sends a one way request to a web service. Upon receiving the request, the web service impl should send notifications to the client in various times (asynchronously). My first thought to overcome the issue with the Notification MEP (and send the notification to the client) is to create a second method that the client calls immediatelly after the method that starts the notifications. Then in the client side I would have an asynchronous handler (using polling for example and the dispatch.invokeAsync()). My problem is that after the result arrives to the client, how would I make the client wait for the next event? Would it be correct to keep calling dispatch.invokeAsync() in a forever loop to get the notifications?
The scenario I am describing is:
a) Web service client sends an id to the web service and waits for no response (void function call locally).
b) Web server upon receiving the id, stores it and when an event happens that is related to the id the server sends a notification to the client
c) The notifications will not stop and occur in random instances
d) The notifications will stop if the client sends the id and request to stop the service.
Is there any pattern I can follow to implement this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Kind Regards