Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by James Ward <ja...@ectropic.com> on 2002/12/23 16:38:36 UTC

Maven Interactive Mode

Hello Maven Friends.
First I want to thank you all for writing a great piece of software!  I
must say that I have seen the light and made the switch from Ant.  Thank
you for making that possible!

The one downfall to developing with Maven is the slow boot-up times.
After doing some digging, I realized that under normal circustances, I
didn't need to have Maven waste a bunch of time reading xml files, loading
plugins, loading dependancies, etc.  So I thought...  Why not have an
Interactive mode?  So, Maven could boot-up and essentially become a
command line interface to run goals from.   So I hacked some code.  (Yes
it's a hack, because I am not an educated programmer, just a hacker.)  My
modified classes are attached.  It is pretty simple right now.  If you run
Maven in Interactive Mode, it asks you for goals to attempt to attain.
After it is done attempting to attain those goals, it gives you the prompt
again.

To run Maven in Interactive Mode, run:
maven -a

What do you all think?

-James

BTW:  Some future ideas include being able to reload dependencies, xml
files, etc from the Interactive Mode.

Re: Maven Interactive Mode

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.
It exists already.