Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/26 17:20:36 UTC

Template creation issue

Hi,

I started an Ubuntu 12.04 server instance using an ISO, on CS 4.0.2 using KVM hypervisor.

I tried to generate a template. I stopped the instance and through the UI clicked on the 'generate a template" icon. Ubuntu12.04 is not an available OS choice, so I chose Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit.

It was successful, so it seemed.

Then I tried to start another instance using this newly created template and it failed (only error via the UI said "Deployment error").

I also tried by creating a snapshot and creating the template from the snapshot, same issue, the instance creation failed.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or how to solve it since I don't have access to the CS mgt server logs.

thoughts ?

-Sebastien

Re: Template creation issue

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
> Anyone has any other tips ?

Get access to the logs and find the real error.  If you can't do that
and the template is at least extractable, download the template and
upload it to another environment where you can get the logs.  If neither
is possible, try creating a new template from scratch again since it
normally should just work.

Kirk

Re: Template creation issue

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi Seb,
>
> On 26-Apr-2013, at 8:50 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started an Ubuntu 12.04 server instance using an ISO, on CS 4.0.2 using KVM hypervisor.
>>
>> I tried to generate a template. I stopped the instance and through the UI clicked on the 'generate a template" icon. Ubuntu12.04 is not an available OS choice, so I chose Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit.
>>
>> It was successful, so it seemed.
>>
>> Then I tried to start another instance using this newly created template and it failed (only error via the UI said "Deployment error").
>>
>> I also tried by creating a snapshot and creating the template from the snapshot, same issue, the instance creation failed.
>>
>> I am not sure what I am doing wrong or how to solve it since I don't have access to the CS mgt server logs.
>>

> I ran into a similar symptom with XenServer 6.0.2 and Ubuntu 12.04. I *think* what was happening was this:
>
> When you choose a "nearest" match from the OS type for a template, the XenServer tries to apply its pre-configured kernel boot up rules using PyGrub on the default kernel. I suppose the intention is to start the template in a Xen PV environment.
>
> Maybe KVM also tries to do some boot up kungfu and treats a 12.04 kernel as a 10.04 kernel.

Thanks Shanker,

Anyone has any other tips ?

Re: Template creation issue

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.

[...]