Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com> on 2002/10/31 00:03:02 UTC

Build Error (newbie question)

Hi all,

I built the CVS version of James on my local server and it worked great. I'm
trying to build it on the production server and I'm getting this error:

--------------- snip --------------
bash-2.03# ./build.sh

James Build System
-------------------
./build.sh: ANT_HOME=: is not an identifier
Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Kenny Smith wrote:
> I ran an experiement and tried bash instead of sh, and the build seemed to
> work as expected. :/

You seem to have run into incompatibilities between bash and other
bourne shells (like sh).
I don't have to build script at hand, but I think this has to do with
the different way these shells assign values to variables.
the easiest way to fix this would be to insert a hashbang pointing to
/bin/bash at the top of the script.
Much nicer would be to make the script "sh-complient", if possible.

	Phil

RE: Build Error (newbie question)

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Peter,

I ran an experiement and tried bash instead of sh, and the build seemed to
work as expected. :/

I can definately step through, but I'm not exactly sure how. Can you point
me to the right place to find out?

Thanks for the help,
Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com