Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/06 05:04:01 UTC

JavaMail not required to authenticate

Hi,

I wrote a simple javamail program, and noticed that it
is allowed to send messages without authenticating.

I have <authRequired>true</authRequired> in the SMTP
config block and when using thunderbird to connect the
same user authentication is required.

Initially I thought this might be because of the
<authAddress> elements in the smtp config block, so I
commented all of them out and restarted the server.
Javamail can still send mail without authenticating.

Any ideas on how to require javamail to authenticate?

I'm running 2.20 BTW.

Thanks,
- Ole

Re: JavaMail not required to authenticate

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Stefano,

Thanks!  You just explained why the authentication is
not required.  I am sending message from a local
address to a local address.

Thanks!  Now I can rest easy knowing that there are no
security holes.

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.