Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Shoberg <js...@cbd.net> on 2001/09/21 04:37:44 UTC

JDBC Connection Pool Theory ??

	Can anyone suggest or point to readings on JDBC connection pool theory?
Something that covers how a pool is implemented, best case / worst case
scenarios, tips and traps.

	My next web application is looking to be very database (mysql) intensive.
I would like a pooling mechanism that is VERY simple to use, VERY light, low
overhead, and portable.  Having looked at packages such as poolman, I
decided I need to learn a bit more about JDBC and pooling in general.  Any
thoughts ?

Jon

How to Configue Tomcat 4 with IIS 5?

Posted by Leo Lin <yl...@ic.sunysb.edu>.
Hi All,
Does anyone know how to configue Tomcat4 with IIS 5?
So I can send the requests on http://IPADDRESS to
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT,
and http://IPADDRESS/example to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/example so on.

I'm running MSWin2k Server with IIS5 and Tomcat4 on the same machine.

Thank,

Leo

Re: BindException...

Posted by Max Chi <ma...@msa.hinet.net>.
hi,

I also had same problem before.
you may try to change   "Apache-Connector Service" port from 8008 to any
other number.

max

RE: BindException...

BindException...

RE: JDBC Connection Pool Theory ??

Posted by Alexandre Victoor <av...@prisma-presse.com>.
Hello
I would like to know if somebody is using the pool of Turbine, used already
by tomcat. I am affraid that there is no doc on these classes :|

Alexandre

Re: JDBC Connection Pool Theory ??

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
What I want to know is how much of a difference connection pooling really
makes? My application isn't taking a lot of hits, so, maybe if it was, I
would notice the difference, but, right now, I see no need to use connection
pooling.

Jon

Posted by "Roy K. Mayr R." <sy...@uapar.edu>.
Hi,

Anybody are using Poolman with Tomcat 4 ??  it works ??

Roy

Re: JDBC Connection Pool Theory ??

Posted by "C. Schlegelmilch" <c_...@yahoo.com>.
We had our web development class develop their own
software for connection pooling.  These are extremely
simple soluitons but they work quite well for the
small to medium traffic they are likely to get.

They are using "Professional Java Server Programming"
as a reference and it has some interesting sections on
Connection Pooling.  This is good if you're only
running a simple application.  It was also noted that
this resource did not address any synchronization
issues which is very important (the last thing you
want is two seperate threads getting a reference to
the next free connection at the same time).  This is
really the only big gottcha that we found in a simple
implementation.