Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Skip Hollowell <sk...@skipdaddy.com> on 2007/06/18 20:09:32 UTC

[S2] Exporting to CSV and Excel

I see that in the new 2.0.8 (Thanks Ted, Don and team) that the Jasper
plugin is included.  Does that mean that Jasper is the endorsed
recommended way to export data to Excel and or CSV?  If so, great.  If
not, can you offer up what you feel is a preferred mechanism for
exporting to Excel?

Thanks for any experienced viewpoints you may have.

Skip Hollowell

Re: [S2] Exporting to CSV and Excel

Posted by Adrian Ost <ad...@mindmatics.de>.
David Durham, Jr. schrieb:
> On 6/18/07, Jeff Amiel <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/18/07, Skip Hollowell <sk...@skipdaddy.com> wrote:
>> > I see that in the new 2.0.8 (Thanks Ted, Don and team) that the Jasper
>> > plugin is included.  Does that mean that Jasper is the endorsed
>> > recommended way to export data to Excel and or CSV?  If so, great.  If
>> > not, can you offer up what you feel is a preferred mechanism for
>> > exporting to Excel?
>>
>> I personally use display tag (http://displaytag.sourceforge.ne) which
>> has fine excel, csv and pdf export mechanism.  It all depends on what
>> you are trying to 'export'.
>
> Both of these tools use Apache POI <http://poi.apache.org/> as an
> underlying Excel format  generator.  I wouldn't use Jasper as an Excel
> generator, unless I were already using or intended to use Jasper as a
> reporting engine.  Display tag is only applicable, in this case, if
> you need tabular data within a JSP along with an option to export in
> Excel format.
>
> POI is fairly easy to use, I've found, but it does have some memory
> related problems associated with very large excel files.
>
> -Dave

I am using display Tag as well but as soon as I sourrond it with the
<ajax:displayTag > it returns me an empty excel file.

--
Adrian Ost

MindMatics AG
Marcel-Breuer-Str. 18
D-80807 München

E-Mail: adrian.ost@mindmatics.de
Web:   www.MindMatics.de
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist vertraulich. Sollte Ihnen die E-Mail
irrtümlich zugesandt worden sein, bitten wir Sie, uns unverzüglich
zu benachrichtigen und die E-Mail zu löschen.

Ust-IdNr. DE211603599
Registergericht München: HRB 131369
Vorstand: Ingo Lippert, Christian Hinrichs, Oliver Beckmann, Armin Barbalata
Aufsichtsrat: Martin Weber (Vorsitzender), Dr. Dirk Brückner (stellvertr. Vorsitzender)

The contents of this e-mail are confidential. If you received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail.

Re: [S2] Exporting to CSV and Excel

Posted by "David Durham, Jr." <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Amiel <je...@gmail.com>.