Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Huedepohl <mi...@mozquito.com> on 2001/09/27 16:54:21 UTC

contributing Xerces-C port for FreeBSD

We've created a port for Xerces-C to FreeBSD and are willing
to contribute it to the Xerces community.
This port is based on the ICU transcoder (in contrary to
Dave Viner's patch) and therefore supports wide characters.
It has been created and tested on FreeBSD 4.3.
We're using the SAX parser extensively with our XML WebAccess
software and it works quite well.

The port consists of a patch for the Xerces 1.5.1 tarball,
but only for the src subdirectory, no samples.
It uses the ICU 1.7 FreeBSD port.
We're planning to contribute a Xerces port to the FreeBSD
ports, too, if there are no objections.

What is necessary to include the Xerces port to the Xerces
standard distribution?
Should I send the patch file (37kB) and instructions for usage
directly to the mailing list?
--
Michael Huedepohl
Mozquito Technologies		fax    +49-89-72 99 74-99

Re: contributing Xerces-C port for FreeBSD

Posted by Michael Huedepohl <mi...@mozquito.com>.
"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> "Michael Huedepohl" <mi...@mozquito.com> writes:
>
> > We've created a port for Xerces-C to FreeBSD and are willing
> > to contribute it to the Xerces community.
>
> Excellent! I'd really like to hear how you got Xerces-C to use the ICU
> transcoder. I've not been able to get that working under linux.
>
> > What is necessary to include the Xerces port to the Xerces
> > standard distribution?
> > Should I send the patch file (37kB) and instructions for usage
> > directly to the mailing list?
>
> Yes, I would just send the patch to the list.

So, here it is (see attachment).
What you have to do on FreeBSD 4.3:
- install the ICU port from /usr/ports/devel/icu
  and set your environment variable ICUROOT to /usr/local/lib/icu/1.7
- untar the Xerces 1.5.1 tarball:
    tar -zxf xerces-c-src1_5_1.tar.gz
- set the XERCESCROOT environment variable to `pwd`/xerces-c-src1_5_1
  and cd to the src directory:
    cd $XERCESCROOT/src
- mkdir util/Platforms/FreeBSD
  and patch the sources with the diff file from attachment:
    patch < ~/xerces1.5.1src-bsd.diff
- configure and make:
    chmod 755 runConfigure configure
    ./runConfigure -p freebsd -n socket -r pthread -t icu
    gmake

When using the library, you'll probably need the following link options:
-L$XERCESCROOT/lib -lxerces-c1_5_1 -lstdc++ -pthread -L$ICUROOT -licudt17l

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Michael Huedepohl" <mi...@mozquito.com> writes:

> We've created a port for Xerces-C to FreeBSD and are willing
> to contribute it to the Xerces community.

Excellent! I'd really like to hear how you got Xerces-C to use the ICU
transcoder. I've not been able to get that working under linux.

> What is necessary to include the Xerces port to the Xerces
> standard distribution?
> Should I send the patch file (37kB) and instructions for usage
> directly to the mailing list?

Yes, I would just send the patch to the list.

jas.